Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion M6 1035DX
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

My screen worked before and now it is dim. I can still see my screen when I start up my computer but must use a flashlight to see. It is not blacked out nor damaged. After removing the battery and draining the last life out with the power button for 15 seconds, it remains dim. I can attach an external monitor and my computer pops right up on that monitor. I switched my ram sticks and received the same outcome.  Am I missing something?  THANK YOU

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

I hadn't heard of a display with a bad backlight in a long time before your thread.

If the external display works and the notebook's normal display operates as you describe, that means that it is quite likely  that the display backlighting has failed.

Are you able to boot to the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics utility and run the diagnostic test on the system and the display? 

After eight or nine years  of use it is unfortunate, but this can't be that much of a surprise. 

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Hey, thanks for your answer. Yes I did run that diagnosis and nothing showed an issue. To tell you something that was strange...i was plugging in my cable and had to flip my computer around to get to the plug, when I did that, my screen lit up like it was new. Shortly after it went back dim, so dont think it's my back light any more. I ordered an LCD Cable so I'll replace this. Thank you again

HP Recommended

Great! 

I suggest that instead of pulling the trigger on purchasing a cable why not verify that it is completely connected first?

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Hey,

That was the first thing I did. Removed both ends of the connection and received the same results. Would you happen to know the Volts that run through that cable? Maybe I can check the voltage to make sure the cable is even getting the correct amount of power. 

HP Recommended

If you removed the connection at both ends and reseated the connections with negative results, it means that the display unit's backlighting has failed.

Purchase a new compatible display and install it. That will resolve the issue.

Be very careful with the flat ribbon connectors. They are very easy to damage. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.