Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 17.3 inch Laptop PC 17-cr0000 (538A1AV)

Hi everyone

I received my laptop today and, as per the subject title, there is an issue with the display.

When I use the trackpad the lower left part of the display becomes brighter and returns to normal when I cease to use the trackpad. I have installed all Windows 11 updates as well as checked that the relevant drivers are up to date, and according to the built-in HP software everything is up to date.

Interestingly the issue seems to go away when I connect my external monitor via HDMI cable, though I've yet to determine if the issue also displays on the external monitor.

It might be worth noting that the screen also has some significant glow/bleed when the display is black, though apparently this is somewhat common on IPS displays - unsure whether or not this is relevant to the issue.

Thanks in advance of your replies, I appreciate any help with this.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The issue appears to go away when I lower the refresh rate though this isn't really a solution.

Can HP support help me please? I paid a lot of money for your faulty product.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

The issue appears to go away when I lower the refresh rate though this isn't really a solution.

Can HP support help me please? I paid a lot of money for your faulty product.

HP Recommended

Hi @TheUnluckyMan,

Welcome to HP Support Community.  

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you. 

It sounds like your new HP laptop is experiencing an issue where the lower left area of the display changes brightness when using the trackpad. This could be caused by a variety of factors, including hardware or software issues. Here are a few things you can try to troubleshoot the issue.

• Update your graphics driver: Outdated or incorrect graphics drivers can cause a range of display issues, including brightness fluctuations. Try updating your graphics driver to see if this resolves the issue. You can find the latest drivers on the HP website or by using the Device Manager in Windows.
  • Adjust your power settings: It's possible that your laptop's power settings are causing the brightness fluctuations. Try adjusting your power settings to see if this makes a difference. You can access your power settings by going to Control Panel > Power Options.
  • Check for malware: Malware can cause a range of issues on your computer, including display problems. Run a malware scan on your computer to make sure it's free of any viruses or malware.

I hope this helps. 

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Alden4
HP Support

I am an HP Employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.