Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 16 inch 2-in-1 Laptop PC 16-f1000 (508S1AV)
Microsoft Windows 11

My stylus pen has never worked since buying my x360. The pen lights up orange when I charge it, but it NEVER turns white showing it's fully charged. I've read many many comments about this pen not working but never in the way that mine doesn't. I've read that it doesn't need to be connected to Bluetooth - that it should just work right out of the box. I can't figure it out and it's the biggest reason I bought this laptop, so I could draw. Any help would be appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @russ_yappy ,

Welcome to The HP Support Community.  

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

I understand you are facing an issue with your new Spectre x360 stylus pen isn't working as expected. Let's go through some troubleshooting steps to try and resolve this issue:

1. Check Compatibility and Installation

Make sure the stylus pen you have is compatible with your specific model of the HP Spectre x360 (16-F1000). Sometimes, different models of the Spectre x360 series might require different stylus models.

2. Charge the Stylus Pen Correctly

Since the pen lights up orange when charging but never turns white (indicating full charge), there could be an issue with the charging or the battery. Here’s what you can do:

• Reset the Stylus: Look for a reset button on the stylus or in the manual. Press and hold this button for a few seconds to reset the stylus.
  • Check Charging: Ensure that the stylus is charging correctly. Use a different USB port or charger to rule out charging issues.

3. Ensure Proper Connection

Even though the stylus typically doesn't require Bluetooth pairing, ensure it's correctly seated and recognized by the laptop. Sometimes, a loose connection can prevent it from working.

4. Update Drivers and Software  Software and Drivers for HP Spectre x360 2-in-1 Laptop 16-f1008nv

Ensure your HP Spectre x360 laptop and Windows 11 operating system are fully updated. Sometimes, driver updates or system updates can resolve compatibility issues.

• Go to Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update and check for updates.
  • Visit the HP Support website for your specific laptop model and download any available updates for drivers related to the stylus or touchscreen functionality.

5. Test in a Different Environment

Try using the stylus in a different application or environment to see if the issue persists. This can help determine if the problem is with a specific software or setting. 

HP Spectre x360 16 inch 2-in-1 Laptop PC 16-f1000 User manual

Refer to this document: HP PCs - Touch screen stylus pen is inaccurate or stops working

I hope this helps. 

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. 

Take care and have a good day.
Gaya1239 – HP Support.
HP Recommended

Thanks for responding. I checked for a Win 11 update, downloaded it and installed it. I cannot find any information on the pen that came with my laptop. This is a very new Feb 2024 setup I bought and the pen was included - so it's not an aftermarket pen or one I bought and hoped it would work.

So I cannot find how to reset the pen. The older pens have this ability and also connect through bluetooth. Apparently this one doesn't - its supposed to just work after opening the box.

HP_stylus_pen.jpg

I've attached a picture of the pen I have.

I've also tried 4 different chargers and get the same result - the orange light turns on and it never turns white, it just turns off. One of these chargers is the short charge line that came in the pen box. I connected that to the laptop itself and still get the same result.

Is there any way HP can just send me a new stylus pen?

- Russ

HP Recommended

Also please see this thread on the Microsoft support site. A lot of people are having the exact same issue as me with this pen. It won't connect, it won't turn color, there is NO reset button on the pen. Maybe older pens have this, but this does not - that I can find.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hp-rechargeable-mpp20-tilt-pen-cant-pair/706d4....

- Russ

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.