Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Hp Omen 15-dc1000 series
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello! I'm having black screen issues with my notebook. The processor was getting in the upper 90s degrees when on load, so I decided it was time I changed the thermal paste. I disassembled the laptop following a YouTube video and applied the thermal paste (not a conductive one). I reassembled and I was getting black screen on startup. At the beginning the laptop rebooted itself 2 or 3 times(I guess cause of the removal the battery) and booted into Windows.

Tried swapping the memory slots, swapping the memory stick itself, connecting to external monitor through HDMI, some BIOS reset tips with holding keyboard buttons, discharging etc. but none of that fixed anything.

With Windows booted up I opened the Windows narrator(using keyboard shortcut) and navigated to Device manager, it started naming the options and groups on the window(Batteries, Network adapters, etc) but there were no display adapters, I guess my laptop does not identify the Gpu and Intel Graphics.

The laptop has no Rtc battery as I looked through the manual. Reseting the Cmos being the only way I fixed something like this before on other systems, I say I am out of ideas. If somebody can give some advice, I would be grateful! 

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@RegularOmenUser,

I reviewed your post and I understand that the graphics drivers are missing on the computer.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

Is the computer booting to Windows? If yes, then I recommend you download and install the drivers from the below link and check if it helps.

https://support.hp.com/in-en/drivers

If the computer is not booting to Windows, then follow the steps in the below article.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04718479

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

P.S: Welcome to the HP Support Community 😊

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

Stay Home – Stay Safe

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for the response! The system does boot into Windows 10, the problem is there is no video output on the display.

As for the problem, I managed to setup a remote connection using TeamViewer. Everything seems to be fine, but for the graphics adapter, I read if you have higher end graphic cards on a HP Omen, the integrated graphics are disabled and unusable.

The laptop does not read the graphics card at all, cannot change resolution, it is not listed in dxdiag, nor CPU-Z. Downloaded the HP Support Assistant, it did automatically update the BIOS, I think, tried System Restore, with an image before the problem, no luck, also tried installing a driver directly from the NVIDIA website (RTX 2060-Mobile) but the setup begins with an error, saying the graphics driver cannot find a compatible hardware.

Used a Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut for the thermal paste, it is not electrically conductive, besides that I made sure I spilled nothing. Perhaps the GPU died somehow, that's what I am thinking. If there is a way to enable the Intel UHD graphics, it would be something!

HP Recommended

@RegularOmenUser,

Are you able to access the NVIDIA Control Panel? If yes, follow the steps in the below article to use the integrated graphics.

https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03519217

NOTE: Follow the steps under: Setting your preferred graphics processor for all software programs

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

Stay Home – Stay Safe

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

As I  previously mentioned, the graphics card is unrecognizable and therefore Nvidia control panel gives an error on launch. So I am unable to apply any of these settings. 

HP Recommended

@RegularOmenUser,

I recommend you contact support to further diagnose the issue.

Here is how you can get in touch with support.

1)Click on this link – www.hp.com/contacthp/

2)Select the product type.

3)Enter the serial number of your device or select let HP detect your product option.

4)Select the country from the drop-down.

5)You should see the HP phone support number or Chat option listed.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.