Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP envy x360 convertible
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

MS office crashes if I try to insert a picture. We have tried numerous fresh installations, but have to reinstall every couple of weeks (or less).  I think it may be something to do with the graphics card (AMD A12-9700P RADEON R7, which I have looked up, and it is a ). It has had the problem almost since we bought it, but we thought it was an office problem for ages, so laptop is now well out of warranty.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@PAK79 

Your model laptop does not have a graphics card; instead, it uses graphics built into the AMD CPU.

You said you do frequent reinstalls --but from what media?  If you are using something you downloaded from Microsoft, it does NOT have the HP drivers needed for your laptop. So, reinstalling that over and over is not going to fix anythijng.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Hi Thank you for answering. When I said that I reinstall, it is MS office that I uninstall and reinstall. I’m assuming that it is the AMD Radeon which is the problem, but Im not certain. The office programs only crash when we try to insert a picture (although not always). The other thing is that we often get a notice from cnext saying “this app can’t work on this machine” (something like that anyway).  The message comes up randomly, but it also came up the other day when we got an AMD message with an update option ... it wouldn’t update, and we got that message.  The problems with inserting pictures into office documents and powerpoints started only a few months after we bought the machine.

HP Recommended

@PAK79 

I understand but there are two issues here. 

First, Office does update itself through Microsoft. I have a version that is eight years old but it still updates automatically every month.  If the problem only started recently, it's most likely due to a recent Office update.

Second, we don't have any means of diagnosing or solving issues with Microsoft applications.  For assistance with this, you would have to contact Microsoft Office Support.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Unfortunately the problem started only a few months after we bought the machine.  I suspect it was always there, but we didn't need to insert pictures at that time.  I though to start with that it was a microsoft problem (whch is why the computer wasn't taken back to the shop while it was still in warranty!), but I'm starting to think that it is a problem with the AMD processor/graphics card.  The AMD software is refusing to update.  Instead, we get a notice saying that the Cnext app won't work on our computer.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.