Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
E8B89UA
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

Screen is mal-functioning. very fine green lines. A green strip on the left of the screen. Pictures' colors distorted and like fluid floating  on the screen.

Is it possible to replace a non-touch screen with a touch screen? 

Laptop: Pavilion 17-e048ca

Laptop product name: E8B89UA

Screen Model# or part#: B173RW01.5 (non-touch)

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi,

It most likely is possible to replace with a touch panel, however, it is going to be really expensive as the touch display comes as one part (the whole display assembly)     part number 749970-001

So it is not only the actual panel, but the panel, digitizer, webcam, mic, cable ...

Example:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-PAVILION-Touchsmart-17-E150US-17-3-TOUCH-SCREEN-ASSEMBLY-749970-001/1129...

To replace only the screen with a new one is quite simple and will not cost too much. The part number for the screen is 720676-001 and you can find online by searching with the part number.

Example:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-COMPAQ-720676-001-763932-001-766903-001-735367-001-17-3-WXGA-LED-LCD-Scr...

On page 69 point 6 and page 71 point 8 of the service manual you can see the steps to replace the panel.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04069163

Hope it helps,

David

Please click on thumbs up for thanks

Please click on accept as solution if answered your question

HP Recommended

Ok thanks Iomare.

Can you please also tell me that if I can have the non-touch and touch screen with a better resolution 1920x1080. or may be 4K screen?

The laptop's non-touch screen that it came with is 1600 x 900 diagonal HD.

Since screen is not good any more and I have to replace it anyway, I am thinking to not just replace, but upgrade as well.

Best regards.

HP Recommended

You're welcome.

It is not possible to upgrade to a "better" screen as none of the notebooks in that series had a higher resolution screen. There were only two options the screen you have or the touchscreen with the same resolution HD+

Usually, in many series it is possible, but also the cable needs to be replaced with an FHD cable and the motherboard connector would need to support it. So, I believe it is not possible.

What I do, since do not need the high resolution on the go, is attach the notebook to an external monitor at home or office. I mean, a nice 23 or even larger screen is great to work on ( even together with the screen of the notebook in an extended desktop situation) and for multimedia purposes on its own. They are not too expensive.

The HDMI port on your notebook supports:

HDMI v1.4 supporting up to1920×1080 @ 60Hz

Hope it helps,

David

HP Recommended

Thanks,  just hooked up lap top with my old smart tv with a $4 HDMI cable from dollar store.  Working perfect.

Will see later to replace the laptop screen.

Regards and stay healthy and safe.

HP Recommended

You're welcome.

Let me know if you need any further help.

All the best,

David

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.