Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 17 inch J7V88AV
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I have a 15 month-old HP Pavilion I bought for my mother but she isn't interested. It's been rarely used, the last time was when I upgraded to WIN-10 in June 2016. 

Upon start, I am successful in logging in using the keyboard.

But after that, the keyboard only makes a tapping sound.  I must open the Touch Keypad screen to type in anything.

What's up?

-db2262

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @db2262,

Thanks for taking an interest in the HP Support Forums! This is a great location to get resolutions and interact with experts from the community. I read your post about the keyboard not working once you logon to the computer. It will be a genuine pleasure to assist you.

You’ve done a superb job of troubleshooting by trying the onscreen keyboard. Excellent work! Kudos to you for that. Please open different applications like MSWord, notepad or WordPad and check if the keyboard still malfunctions and does not type.

Please perform these steps and let me know how this pans out.

Symptoms:

Keyboard doesn't work after logging in to Windows

Cause:

Windows misconfiguration: Filter keys are turned on.

Resolution:

1) Go to Start > Control Panel > Ease of Access.

2) Click on the Make the keyboard easier to use option.

3) Scroll down to the Make it easier to type section.

4) Clear the turn on Filter keys checkbox.

I have included screenshots for the same. 

Please let me know how this works. Thanks for being a part of the HP community and if you require further assistance let me know and I will gladly do all I can to help. If you wish to say thanks for my effort to help, click the "Thumbs up" to give me a "Kudos" and also please mark it as “Accepted Solution” if this helps.

Take care and have a blessed week ahead!

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @db2262,

Thanks for taking an interest in the HP Support Forums! This is a great location to get resolutions and interact with experts from the community. I read your post about the keyboard not working once you logon to the computer. It will be a genuine pleasure to assist you.

You’ve done a superb job of troubleshooting by trying the onscreen keyboard. Excellent work! Kudos to you for that. Please open different applications like MSWord, notepad or WordPad and check if the keyboard still malfunctions and does not type.

Please perform these steps and let me know how this pans out.

Symptoms:

Keyboard doesn't work after logging in to Windows

Cause:

Windows misconfiguration: Filter keys are turned on.

Resolution:

1) Go to Start > Control Panel > Ease of Access.

2) Click on the Make the keyboard easier to use option.

3) Scroll down to the Make it easier to type section.

4) Clear the turn on Filter keys checkbox.

I have included screenshots for the same. 

Please let me know how this works. Thanks for being a part of the HP community and if you require further assistance let me know and I will gladly do all I can to help. If you wish to say thanks for my effort to help, click the "Thumbs up" to give me a "Kudos" and also please mark it as “Accepted Solution” if this helps.

Take care and have a blessed week ahead!

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.