Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ENVY x360 13-ag0003na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have recently purchased the SAMSUNG C34J791 Quad HD 34" Curved LED Monitor whose resolution is 3440 x 1440p and up to 100Hz refresh rate of the screen. I have no trouble with my work laptop (which is a more premium CAD laptop from Dell) but with my personal HP laptop I struggle to connect to the screen. 

Key information:

1. I am currently connecting through USB-C to HDMI adapter and then HDMI cable directly to the screen.
  2. The connection is never successful on start-up or first connection (the screen blinks the image and then goes black) with either extended, clone or secondary screen only options.
  3. After a few attempts, it works well and the screen integrates correctly.
  4. If the laptop ever goes to sleep, closes itself, then points two to three have to be repeated, always.
  5. Equipment:
    1. SAMSUNG C34J791 Quad HD 34" Curved LED Monitor
    2. HP Envy x360 13-ag0003na
    3. HP standard USB-C to HDMI 2.0 adaptor
    4. Samsung HDMI supplied cable (I have tried with others with no outcome change)

Since I have another laptop that works perfectly with the screen, and I have managed to make the screen work with this laptop, I believe the issue/error might be in the laptop itself or the AMD graphic card my laptop has, any tips or advise on what can be done please?

Hope the information above is enough, please do ask if you have any other questions.

It is just annoying having to do multiple connection attempts before I can use the new screen.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@omesalles

I reviewed your post and I understand that you are facing issues connecting the external monitor.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

I recommend you update the BIOS and the graphics driver from the below link and check whether the issue is resolved.

BIOS: https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp106001-106500/sp106080.exe

Graphics: https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp96501-97000/sp96638.exe

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

P.S: Welcome to the HP Support Community 😊

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

Stay Home – Stay Safe

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi @La_Fossette

I already had the BIOS latest version of software (F.47) when I reported this issue but nevertheless I re-installed it but without any changes to the issue.

However, the graphics card installer you provided when I tried to install It came back with a warning saying that it is not supported by the OS version of the laptop (10.0.19041). I have then gone to the HP site, and seen I have 4 options for graphic card driver. I tried them all and installed the second most recent one, yours was the latest, details below:

1. AMD High-Definition Graphics Driver - Raven Ridge (Windows 10 v1903) - File Name: sp96638.exe (this is the link you provided and comes back with the error)
  2. AMD High-Definition Graphics Driver - Raven Ridge (Windows 10 v1803) - File Name: sp94770.exe (this in turn opened the AMD Radeon Software installer where various options were presented. I installed the last Microsoft approved one which is version 20.11.2 for software and driver)
  3. AMD High-Definition Graphics Driver - Raven Ridge (Windows 10 v1809) - File Name: sp92508.exe (did not install this one as it's two years old now and the two above are much more recent)

Unfortunately, the issue is still as described in the original post, with the difference that after 15+ connect/disconnect, switch screen type (Expand, just on PC, just on screen) and 5+ reboots, I have not managed to make it work. I guess it's just a coincidence, as sometimes before it also took me time to make the successful connection.

Any other ideas?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.