Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

I cannot adjust the brightness of my display using the Fn keys or the Control Panel... I have already had to replace my battery once...  I need to be able to adjust the brightness in order save my battery life!

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

FOUND IT!!!

Anyone still unable to solve the problem try the following:

Start > Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Device Manager

Once the Device Manger box opens expand the "Monitors" tab

Left Click and Uninstall the monitor listed.  Make sure to also check the box that says Delete Drivers.

Then select the Scan for Hardware Changes Icon 

Sounds bizarre, but the adjust display brightness should reappear.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

I have the latest updates according to HP support and i have been going through the posts... No luck. 

HP Recommended

FOUND IT!!!

Anyone still unable to solve the problem try the following:

Start > Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Device Manager

Once the Device Manger box opens expand the "Monitors" tab

Left Click and Uninstall the monitor listed.  Make sure to also check the box that says Delete Drivers.

Then select the Scan for Hardware Changes Icon 

Sounds bizarre, but the adjust display brightness should reappear.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the tip. It worked for me. I have a feeling that Microsoft Updates replaced the HP driver with one of their generic updated driver for my monitor.

HP Recommended

yeehah,

thankls heaps, finally after weeks and Intel was stumoed too.

The brighness control came back in seconds by uninstalling the monitior via device manager.(with delete driver ticked) . Immediately i scanned for hardware change in same screen and th display immediately dimmed and is again reacting to brightness adjustments

Splashtop was the culprit and the only monitor listed in device manger. i still love splashtop though

HP Recommended
OMG!! thank you so muchto be honest i thought it was to good to be true but thx to you, you saved me hours of trying to fix this 😛
HP Recommended

I've got the same problem, but when i try the solution provided by you, when uninstalling the monitor i don't have any checkbox to delete drivers. Could you please help me? i've tried anything i knew already

HP Recommended

me too, please i need an answer

HP Recommended

If the driver was updated then roll it back. That solved the issue for me (DV6T-3100 Select Edition with Windows 7 64-bit). You can access it from Desktop>Screen Resolution>Advanced Settings>Properties>Driver ***Just a warning, my lowest brightness now blacks out the screen, but otherwise the brightness adjusts normally***Untitled.jpg

HP Recommended

Oh great!! Now i can able to adjust brightness..  Thanks for the tip. Very usefull. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.