Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Pavillion 15-ab101ax
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The two screenshots below illustrate the problem. Resolution in both cases reported as being 1920 x 1080, but there's a clear difference.  Monitor is Asus 24 inch, using HDMI connection.

Grateful for any assistance. Thanks.

(On edit: The screenshots don't show the difference as clearly as I'd hoped, but maybe someone has had this happen and has a solution.)

Lid open

Screenshot lid open.png

Lid closed

Screenshot lid closed.png

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hello @kiwi-di,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

I have taken a look at your post and notice the resolution on the external screen is not clear when the HP Pavilion 15-ab101ax lid is closed. I want to help you resolve this issue.

What is the model number of the monitor?

Please begin troubleshooting with a hard reset. Once that is complete, follow the steps in this graphics troubleshooting document:

HP Notebook PCs - Green Screen and Other Video Playback Issues (Windows 10)

You can also try setting the external screen to Screen 1 before closing the notebook lid.

1. Right-click on the desktop

2. Select "Display settings"

3. Click on "Advanced display settings"

4. Set the Asus monitor to the default screen

I look forward to your reply!

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply FlashRam1714. I appreciate your help.

The model number of my Asus monitor is VS248 - it is probably about 5 years old.

I will try your suggestions and let you know the result.

HP Recommended

I have now tried all your suggestions above (except the final one - see below) but the problem persists.

I should note that when I close the lid the laptop screen goes black (but obviously the computer does not shut down). In fact, the screen goes black when the lid is about 8 cm (3 inches) before it is closed, and it is at that moment that the resolution changes.

I am a little unclear as to how I set the Asus monitor as Screen 1.  When I follow your instructions (before shutting the lid), I see he following, and am not quite sure which option to choose.   When I click identify, I see 1 | 2 in a black square on the desktop.

Monitor options.jpg

When the lid is down I see the following

monitor1.jpg

Thank you again.

HP Recommended

Hello @kiwi-di,

Thank you for the reply!

In the Advanced display settings, click on the multiple displays drop down. Click "Show only on 2". The notebook screen should then go black and then close the lid.

You can also check your power settings to make sure that nothing happens when you close the notebook lid.

Change What Windows Does When You Shut Your Laptop’s Lid

Let me know how it goes!

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Thanks again. The power setting was previously on Do Nothing.

Changing the monitor to 2 only caused the problem to happen before I shut the lid.

However, while experiementing with all this I discovered that in the display settings the text and other apps size is set at 125%. When I close the lid (or choose Monitor 2) this reverts to 100% (but can be manually changed to 125%). See screenshots.

Incidentally, if Monitor 2 has been chosen it's not possible to make this change. 

This seems to be an acceptable workaround.  Thanks for your help.

With lid open

Monitor 1-2 125%.jpg

With lid closed after manual adjustment to 125%

Monitor 1 125%.jpg

HP Recommended

Hello @kiwi-di

You're welcome! I'm glad you found a solution.

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to post on the forums!

I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.