Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
SPECTRE X360 15-ch011dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My SPECTRE X360 has had a progressively unusable space bar.  It began with the occasional missed space in a sentence.  It progressed into desperation of using copy and paste in order to add a space to a sentence.  External keyboards worked fine.

RESOLUTION:  The issue was not the spacebar at all.  My battery was exploding, another known issue on modern day HP laptops with internal batteries.  I have removed the battery and am running the computer without the battery while a new battery is on order.  The space bar works perfectly. 

How to diagnose if the battery is expanding:  Look at the case of your machine.  If the case is 'stretched' in any way, consider removing the battery.  My battery is internal to the machine and not the easy 'pop it out' variety of the last generation of machines.  The spacebar is above the battery.  The expansion of the battery pack was deforming the spacebar, thus causing the spacebar to malfunction. 

Resources from HPSupport YouTube channel:  https://youtu.be/LQPDdQognos or, search on "How to Replace the Battery | HP Spectre X360 Notebook" on YouTube.

YouTube posted video with lots of great information on battery replacement:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ka8evdw67pM&feature=youtu.be or, search on "HP Spectre x360 15 (2017) New Replacement Battery AVAILABLE" on YouTube.

Lawyer's chorus/caveats:  If you are running your computer without the battery, some models' BIOS will not allow this, double check your specific model first.  Also, if there is a power interruption and you are NOT on a battery backup, well, all bets are off.  The operating system doesn't like abrupt power outages. If possible, use a battery backup until a new battery is installed.

Machine in service 7/2018; spacebar noticeable issues began: 12/2019; spacebar absolutely annoying: 4/2020; battery removed and spacebar working fine: 4/2020; new battery on order.  

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Excellent find and post ITNerd. Thanks for posting.It is more helpful than tech support at identifying the root cause of the problem.

My laptop is has the same issue with the spacebar. So are several other persons in the forum. I also noticed that the case is separating on the left side as well as in the front centre. So I suspect in most cases weare having the issue you described.

HP had a recall on batteries for several models. Will they have a recall on the battery for the spectre x360 15t

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.