Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion - 15-cs3012ur
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My laptop screen starts flickering after moving mouse cursor if laptop was in sleep mode or turned off for some time (usually one hour or more). This flickering stops after restart.

Flicker looks mostly like black screen with occasional white lines or patterns, sometimes I can see my Windows UI for few seconds

This is my Windows version. I have upgraded my windows edition from hove to professional, this may be important

Windows versionWindows version

What do I know:

• I can work with laptop without flickering if I don't touch mouse, this works fine for quite long sessions
  • Any cursor manipulation may start flicker: touchpad, external mouse or ease of access with notepad keyboard buttons
  • This is flicker does not happen on external display, they work just fine while main screen is flickering
  • Does not happen in Safe Mode
  • ctrl + win + shift + B combination stops flicker for few moments, but has no affect otherwise
  • I can move cursor from Remote Desktop Connection or TeamViewer without problems

What have I tried:

• Updated all drivers
  • Reinstalled Windows
  • Run HP PC Hardware Diagnostics Windows 1.6.4.0, no issues were found

Sadly this laptop doesn't have discrete video card, so I can't check if this is a video card issue.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I had found a workaround for my issue, so I am going to share it if anyone encounters this problem.

The issue is caused by hibernation. Therefore it should be turned off completely to fix screen flickering.

Got to Settings -> System -> Power & Sleep -> Additional Power Settings

Screenshot 2020-09-22 230850.png

Select "Choose what the power button does" then deselect "Turn on fast startup"

Screenshot 2020-09-22 231203.png

This will disable hibernate when you shut down your PC manually.

Then go to "Change when the computer sleeps", "Change advanced power settings", "Sleep", "Hibernate after" and set values to zero.

Screenshot 2020-09-22 231730.png

Without hibernate I had no issues for a few days, so I believe this is correlated.

Last notes, I think that issues are with the drivers and it started after the 2004 Windows update. I don't know who is at fault MS or HP, but someone should fix it. Turning off hibernate is a suboptimal fix

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

@Petr_Mikhaylov Welcome to HP Community!

I understand that you are facing a screen flickering issue.

Please perform the system file check.

1) Select Start, and in the search box, enter Command Prompt. Press and hold (or right-click) Command Prompt (Desktop app) from the search results and select Run as administrator. 

2) Enter DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth (note the spaces before each "/"). 

3) Enter sfc /scannow (note the space between "sfc" and "/"). 

Also, try to update the BIOS.

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply.

I have done both cheks, but with no success, and my BIOS is up to date already

Untitled.png

Also, I have some recording of my issue:

HP Recommended

Let's update the graphics driver from your product page: https://support.hp.com/in-en/drivers

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

All of my drivers are up to date

HP Recommended

@Petr_Mikhaylov

I understand your concerns.

In that case, I would suggets you perform the system reset.

Windows 10 has a reset feature that repairs your computer by reinstalling the operating system. This feature is recommended for recovery because it reinstalls Windows 10 while either preserving your personal data and customizations or removing all your personal data.

You have a choice of two methods to reset your computer.

• If Windows 10 loads correctly, see the section titled Perform a Windows 10 system reset in Windows in this document.

• If Windows 10 does not start correctly, see the section titled Perform a Windows 10 system reset through Windows Recovery Environment in this document.

Have a nice day!!

HP Recommended

I have done clean Windows install after first encountering this issue.

I do believe this may be related to Windows 10 may update. I had Windows Insider Program before reinstall and the first flickering issues began around the and of April.

HP Recommended

@Petr_Mikhaylov

I understand your concerns.

I would suggets you contact our phone support and check for the support option. They will help you.

Here is how you can get in touch with phone support.

1)Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/

2)Select the product type.

3)Enter the serial number of your device or select let HP detect your product option.

4)Select the country from the drop-down.

5)You should see the HP phone support number or Chat option listed.

We are experiencing longer than expected wait times to reach an agent due to the CoViD-19 impact and there might have been issues in you getting the expected resolution on the issue. 

Have a nice day!!

HP Recommended

I had found a workaround for my issue, so I am going to share it if anyone encounters this problem.

The issue is caused by hibernation. Therefore it should be turned off completely to fix screen flickering.

Got to Settings -> System -> Power & Sleep -> Additional Power Settings

Screenshot 2020-09-22 230850.png

Select "Choose what the power button does" then deselect "Turn on fast startup"

Screenshot 2020-09-22 231203.png

This will disable hibernate when you shut down your PC manually.

Then go to "Change when the computer sleeps", "Change advanced power settings", "Sleep", "Hibernate after" and set values to zero.

Screenshot 2020-09-22 231730.png

Without hibernate I had no issues for a few days, so I believe this is correlated.

Last notes, I think that issues are with the drivers and it started after the 2004 Windows update. I don't know who is at fault MS or HP, but someone should fix it. Turning off hibernate is a suboptimal fix

HP Recommended

The screen on my 3 month old HP started to flicker with mouse cursor use with the built-in touch pad after downloading a remote mouse program that allows me to use my iPhone to control the cursor. I had the computer turned off for a few days when this issue started up out of the blue. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.