Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Spectre 360 Convertible 13-ae0xx
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Hello.  I am attempting to drive 2 external HDMI monitors from the Thunderbolt ports.  The Spectre has 2 Thunderbird ports.  How can get the Spectre to identify BOTH external monitors so I can "Extend" monitors then turn off (not use) the laptop monitor itself?  Can I do this with the Thunderbolt ports without requiring a docking station?

Solution Attempt #1 - 1 adaptor

I use one for the Thunderbolt port for power cord so I use the other port with an adaptor that converts USB-C to multiple ports: 1 HDMI, 1 USB-c, 2 USB.  I tried a 2nd adaptor that is a straight USB-C to HDMI to plug into the adaptor to create a 2nd HDMI port (i.e. I have an adaptor into an adaptor).

Thunderbird USB-C --> (HDMI, USB-c, USB, USB).  Attempting also Thunderbolt USB-C --> USB-c --> (via 2nd adapter) HDMI

I cannot get this USB-c adaptor port to be recognized with the 2nd HDMI adaptor.

Solution Attempt #2

Directly plug the 2nd adaptor which is a simple USB-C to HDMI adaptor into the 2nd thunderbolt port while also plugging in the original adaptor (above) into the other Thunderbolt port.  The good news is the Display Manager recognizes 3 monitors!  #1 Laptop, #2 External through simple HDMI adaptor, and #3 External through multi-adaptor.  However, 2 of the 3 monitors are "big" on the screen and one is small... in essence it sees that the 2nd external monitor exists but won't let me display to both... only one.  I confirmed that the simple adaptor "works" by simply plugging in only the simple adaptor.  Also this 2nd solution has a downside because my power cord must go somewhere so I plug into the multi-adaptor (HP gives a warning about a non-standard power source, but I see power is working.)

Could someone help advise whether I need to download better display drivers or purchase a better multi-port dual HDMI adaptor?

Thank you,
Ken

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@HelpMeNameThis

Thank you for posting on HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, I have a few troubleshooting steps we could try to fix the issue:  

Firstly, perform Windows Update and HP Support Assistant: (do not skip any troubleshooting steps if you feel steps are repeating) 

To check for updates now, select the Start button, and then go to Settings  > Update & security  > Windows Update, and select Check for updates.

Install updates from HP Support Assistant: Go to Download HP Support Assistant to install the tool.

1. To open HP Support Assistant, double-click the HP Support Assistant icon https://support.hp.com/doc-images/932/c05040382.jpg.
  2. Click My devices in the top menu, and then click Updates in the My PC or My notebook pane.
  3. Click Check for updates and messages to scan for new updates.
  4. Review the list of updates. Updates with a yellow information icon are recommended. Updates with a blue information icon are optional.
  5. Click the update name for a description, version number, and file size.
  6. Select the box next to any updates you want to install, and then click Download and install.

And, also run BIOS Update: Follow steps from the link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c00042629

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Echo Lake,

Thank you for taking time to share these recommendations.  These did not solve the problem.   To confirm what I attempted:

1.  Windows Update - no new updates found

2.  HP Support Assistant - no new updates found

3.  My devices --> Updates - no new updates found

4.  BIOS Update (automatically) using Device Manager - Update automatically using Device Manager - indicates I already have the most recent version.

5.  BIOS Update (automatically) using HR Support Assistant.   When I click "Updates" again (similar to earlier), it shows HP Spectre x360 Convertible 13-ae0xx "You're up to date with software & drivers."  I don't see anywhere to specifically search for a BIOS update.

6.  BIOS (manually) - I did not attempt this as the checks above already told me I have the latest version.

Do you know if this HP model is capable of driving 2 external monitors at the same time?

Thanks,

Ken

HP Recommended

@HelpMeNameThis

Thank you for posting back. 

To get the answer to this question, you just need available ports such as HDMI, DisplayPort, or VGA. However,  you can use a USB Display Adapter to connect multiple additional monitors.

Click here: https://www.hp.com/us-en/shop/tech-takes/how-to-set-up-dual-monitors-on-windows-10 to know more about How to set up dual monitors on Windows 10

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.