Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
hp spectra x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a spectra X 360 and the rotation button is greyed out in both settings and in the taskbar. I have tried flipping to tent mode and it still doesn't work. All of my updates are complete and I have run windows troubleshooter for hardware to no avail.

Thanks and any help is appreciated. Josh

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Mustangguy,

Thank you for keeping me posted.

I recommend you try the below steps and check if it helps.

Put the computer in tent mode. Does not matter if writing is upside down. Hit the action center. Then tap rotation lock and screen will change.

Rotation lock is in the bottom right-hand side of the screen.

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

@Mustangguy,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

Thank you for posting your query on this forum, it's a great place to find answers.

I reviewed your post and I understand that the screen rotation button greyed out.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

In order that I may provide you with an accurate solution, I will need a few more details.

• When was the last time the computer was working fine?
  • Have you made any software or hardware changes on the computer?
  • Have you performed any troubleshooting steps before posting?

While you respond to that, I recommend you follow the below steps and check if it helps.

1. Open Settings App and go to System > Display.
  2. Find Orientation and choose Portrait from the menu.
    portrait-orientation
  3. Your device should automatically switch to portrait mode.

Solution 2 – Disconnect your keyboard

If Rotation Lock is grayed out, you might want to try disconnecting your keyboard. Check if this resolves the issue.

Solution 3 – Switch to Tablet Mode

If your device doesn’t switch automatically to Tablet Mode, you can do the following to access Tablet Mode manually:

1. Click the Action Center button in the Taskbar.
    action-center-button
  2. When Action Center opens, click the Tablet Mode.
    tablet-mode

You can also enter Tablet Mode using the Settings app:

1. Open Settings > System > Tablet Mode.
  2. Make sure that Make Windows more touch-friendly when using your device as a tablet is turned On.
    tablet-mode-settings
  3. If you want, you can also change how your device will work when you automatically switch Tablet Mode on or off.

Solution 4 – Change Last Orientation registry value

If you have problems with Rotation Lock and if the rotation isn’t working on your device, you might have to change some registry values. To do that, follow these steps:

1. Press Windows Key + R and type regedit. Press Enter or click OK.
    regedit
  2. When Registry Editor opens, you need to navigate to the following key in the left pane:
    • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionAutoRotation
  3. In the right pane, find LastOrientation and double-click it.
    autorotate-registry
  4. In Value data box enter 0 and click OK to save changes.
    lastorientation-value
  5. If you see SensorPresent DWORD available, double-click it and make sure that its value is set to 1.

Solution 5 – Uninstall / Update your display drivers

Sometimes, problems with Rotation Lock can be caused by your display drivers, so you might need to update them or uninstall them. To uninstall your drivers, do the following:

1. Press Windows Key + X and choose Device Manager from the list.
    device-manager
  2. When Device Manager opens, navigate to Display adapters section and locate your driver.
  3. Right-click the driver and choose Uninstall.
    uninstall-driver
  4. After you have uninstalled the driver, restart your device.

If the problem still persists, you might have to update your display adapters. To do that, follow these steps:

1. Open Device Manager and locate your display adapter driver.
  2. Right-click it and choose Update Driver Software.
    update-driver-software
  3. Choose one of the options and follow the instructions.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello Fossete and thanks for the help!  I have made it all the way through step 4 and "last orientation" was already set to 0. I can change from portrait to landscape using the manual button in settings. I have updated several things in the last week or so using the windows update manager and this is also when the problem started. I have attached a picture of all recent updates done.  I also noticed two updates that need to be done and will try to do those tomorrow.

Thanks again for the help.

Josh

HP Recommended

updates.png

HP Recommended

@Mustangguy,

I recommend you install all the updates and test.

Please post your results, as I will be looking forward to hearing from you.

Good day!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I did both updates in the windows update manager so everything is up to date. I went to step 5 in your previous post and found that I have two display drivers (Intel (R) HD Graphics 620) and (NVIDIA GeForce 940 MX). I didn't know which one I should uninstall and reinstall so I right clicked both and ran the update for them. Windows said both are up to date.

What should I do next?

Thanks Josh

HP Recommended

UPDATE!!

The screen now auto-rotates but the button is still greyed out for auto-rotate in both the action center and in settings. Is there a way to change it back to normal?

Thanks Josh

HP Recommended

@Mustangguy,

I recommend you try the below steps and check if it helps.

Put the computer in tent mode. Does not matter if writing is upside down. Hit the action center. Then tap rotation lock and screen will change.

Rotation lock is in the bottom right-hand side of the screen.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

FYI, I solved this issue by going to: Device Manager > System Devices > Intel Integrated Sensor Solution (right click) > Update Driver > Look Online. 

It downloaded something, and a few minutes later it was fixed. No Fresh Start or reset required. Not even a restart. 

Hope it helps. 

HP Recommended

Thansk! This solved the problem for me, while the "approved  solution" didn't do anything for me (simply because "screen rotation" is not shown in the action center for me). But hey - problem solved. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.