Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
13-ac010ca; 1EL95UA#ABL
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

Wanted to know if anyone else was experiencing this isse:

A month or so ago it started having some problems when my palm was on the screen: the virtual "tip" of the pen would drag when it was really just hovering (but the problem didn't happen when I didn't rest my palm on the screen)

Now this week, sometimes when my palm is on the screen the pen will fully stop working.  The virtual tip won't even register.  When I remove my palm, it takes a few seconds and then the pen starts working again.  But then the next morning the pen would work just fine with my palm?!  No pattern to when it stops working (and yes, fresh batteries).

I contacted support:

- they sent me down a new stylus (case number 5004876666) This didn't fix it (happens with both new and old, with fresh batteries)

- all my drivers are up to day (support checked)

- Support told me that I would need to fully restore the computer to factory; completely wipe it (Case number: 5006075063).  I unfortunately can't do that at the moment so I can't tell if that fixes the problem.

I will eventually do a full system restore and see if that helps.  But I wanted to see if anyone else has had this same issue, and if they found any solutions?

----- 

Windows 10 Home 64-bit 

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz

8GB

System board: 827E 94.61

BIOS: F.36
Intel(R) HD Graphics 620 - 21.20.16.4664 (2017-04-21)

All pen/display drivers up to day (support checked)

All HP recommended software installed.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

I recently got a certified refurbished HP Spectre x360 15-BL012DX, and it included the active stylus (I had no idea it was included with refurbished devices). Incidentally, I am having the exact issue as you described.

I am using the lastest drivers and firmware from HP, and still I have this problem in Photoshop CC 2018, OneNote, paint.exe, etc.

"Ignore touch input when I'm using my pen" improves palm rejection, but does not solve this issue.

With no palm or hand resting on the screen, light strokes are drawn easily, but when I rest my palm of my writing hand (right) or my free hand (left) on the touch screen while using the pen, I have to use a lot of force to begin a pen stroke.

PS: Also worth noting is that it is proportionate to how much of my hand and how much pressure my hand has on the screen. More hand = less sensitive pen. It's as if they are competing for attention. Once the pen stroke begins, I can let up the pressure and it will continue drawing. It affects the initial pressure a lot more than the rest.

HP Recommended

I had the same problem. It is **bleep**ty.

I used Samsung Galaxy Book. Its stylus pen was wonderful.

I looked forward to the same quality in HP.

But HP can not follow up to date technology.

It is literally sucky. I am gonna sell this laptop. 

HP Recommended

It's possible that my issue isn't identical, but as I kept finding this thread whilst looking for answers, I'll put what I found here in case it helps anyone:

My issue was that as I was drawing with the pen, resting my palm on the screen would often cause my Hp Spectre to skitter between trying to interpret my palm as a touch/multitouch command (often scaling or moving my canvas in Leonardo) and drawing with the pen, resulting in a frustrating and irregular drawing experience.

Solution:
To enable palm rejection, open the Settings app and go to the Devices group of settings. Go to the Pen & Windows Ink tab, and under Pen, you will see an option called 'Ignore touch input when I'm using my pen'. Enable this option to get palm rejection on your device.

Result:
Now when my pen is on the screen, touch command with either hand are ignored, when the pen is off the screen for more than a second, they kick back in. For me this is a good result.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.