Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Spectre x360 15-df1xxx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, so i bought a brand spanking new Spectre x360 (15 inch) with 9th gen i7 and gtx 1650 as a work/ CAD/ Design laptop.
After being initially disappointed that there was no pen included, despite every review talking about an included pen (the product listing actually didn´t mention a pen, so i guess I can only blame myself), I caved and bought a wacom bamboo ink plus.

Drawing in photoshop and illustrator was one of the main reasons to get a convertible, ad i don´t mind spending the extra $$ on a pen that works... Which the Bamboo Ink Plus kinda doesn´t:

First of all, the pen does connect and register and i can also draw lines. However the screen very frequently registers touchpoints above and below where i´m drawing with the pen which also makes it impossible to draw a selection in the windows ink workspace and randomly moves around my sketchplane in illustrator.
I´m having some issues with lines in photoshop disappearing and reappearing, those seem to be rooted in an incompatibility between windows 10 build 1903 and possibly nvidia gpus.
Tilt also doesn´t register, i don´t know if i missed a setting or it that´s just not supported. (I´ve read the hp tilt pen handles tilt via bluetooth...)

I am aware my particular model of spectre isn´t listed on wacoms compatibility list, but i figured that´s because it´s a fairly new model. From what i´ve read the HP pens are not a viable alternative for drawing and digital rendering.

So here are my questions:
Is this a hardware defect or a software deficiency? (I really don´t think it´s the Pens fault)
Should I try to get an identical replacement laptop, or should I settle for a different model?

Thanks in advance,
Milan

Solution summary: The spectre x360 digitizer is not compatible with other brand MPP-Pens that support tilt, like the wacom bamboo ink plus or the microsoft surface pen.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@DvZ_Design That's right, it doesn't support all brands of the stylus, you may need to get the ones listed previously,

And about the model name you've listed, since they are from the same series as the 15-df it may work, although, I personally suggest you make use of a passive stylus as that's compatible with all brands.

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@DvZ_Design Welcome to HP Community!

Did you check the updated compatibility list for the stylus on HP x360? Click here, if you haven't.

While you respond to that, I've taken the liberty of listing out the details you need to identify the accurate part:

HP Pen (Microsoft) 1MR94AA

SPS: 920241-001 (Dark Ash Silver) / 910942-001 (Natural Silver)

HP Tilt Pen (Microsoft) 2MY21AA

HP SPS: 929863-001 (Dark Ash Silver) / 929863-002 (Natural Silver)

The above stylus are the only parts compatible with your device, that said, if you have a compatible part and yet it doesn't function as it should: click here to troubleshoot.

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi, @Riddle_Decipher,

Thanks for your reply that close to the holidays.

I dismissed the HP pens because I read complaints about them needing fairly high activation pressure to register, which makes them unsuitable for drawing.

People have recommended the wacom bamboo ink and ink plus for the spectre, though that recommendation may be based on earlier models of the notebook.

Are you saying that despite having the same technology and following the Microsoft-pen-protocol this flagship model will not support other brands pens?

I will check a local store where I can try out the HP pens and see if the issue persists.

The compatibility list only lists the Spectre x360 15-df0xx, though my model is the 15-df1000. Then again that list really only tells me if the device requires a pen with wacom aes or n-trig/MPP (and if tilt on the tilt pen is supported).

Thanks for your time,

Milan

HP Recommended

@DvZ_Design That's right, it doesn't support all brands of the stylus, you may need to get the ones listed previously,

And about the model name you've listed, since they are from the same series as the 15-df it may work, although, I personally suggest you make use of a passive stylus as that's compatible with all brands.

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@Riddle_Decipher,

When will HP release a Tilt Pen driver that works with Windows 10 Pro (1909)?  I recently bought (ordered it October 2019) a 13t-aw000 CTO and can't install the driver because it is only for Windows 10 (1903).  The basic functionality works, but the "Tilt" function does not.  I have the following pen:

HP Tilt Pen (Microsoft) 2MY21AA

HP SPS: 929863-001 (Dark Ash Silver) / 929863-002 (Natural Silver)

Best regards,

Matt

HP Recommended

@MattVK There seems to be an update available for the Chipset, click here to download and update the same, if that doesn't help, I'm afraid there are no other updates available as of now, and there's no information as to when new updates would be released, you may need to wait for a month or two, or rollback to a previous version of windows until there are new updates available from Microsoft and HP.

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 😉

I hope that answers your query,  

If it did, simply select "Accept as solution", to help the community grow, 

And if you wish to thank us for our efforts, click on the thumbs up for kudos.

Have a great day ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you and much appreciated.  The Intel MEI driver wouldn't install because of the version of Windows 10 (the latest one).  I don't want to roll back and have to reinstall everything.  it is disappointing that HP is not on top of their products to make sure they function as advertised.  

I greatly appreciated your time and effort in trying to provide a solution to my issue.

Best regards,

Matt

HP Recommended

@MattVK Looked for updates and found a firmware update that may help: click here to download

If that doesn't help, also try this: click here

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.