Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Spectre x360 13-ap0086TU
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I just bought spectre x360 13-ap0086TU model.

At first, I loved it. 

But, when I turned it on, I was disappointed with its screen brightness.

Its display seemed darker, so I checked the brightness of it and compared to my monitor.

The result is at least 20% less bright than the monitor of 250nits.

Left:philips 278c5q, spec 250nits -> 250-300

Right: Spectre 13-ap0086TU, spec 300nits -> under 200

(I measured it by smartphone. I know it's not accurate results. But the spectre is definately darker)

Screen brightness 278c5q vs spectre 13 ap0086TUScreen brightness 278c5q vs spectre 13 ap0086TU

I've already asked hp korea,

but they said it was designed by lower power and it' normal. No problem at all. And they cannot help it because it caused by HW design.

Low brightness make low power.. (is it new technology??)

I'd liked to know any way(like bios/fw update) to get more brightness.

Thank you.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Same issue on x360 gem cut edition with Full HD display. With glossy screen and this brightness screen is realy hard to read on normal day light.

Also got some weird vertical lines visible on screen.

HP Recommended

You've got a SureView display. It's one of the trade-offs for having the privacy screen filter monitor.
I received one too without knowing (it was not listed in the specs) - returned it directly as it affected the monitor greatly even when not in use. I received the non-SureView display today and it is super crisp and bright.

I can see that the trade-off might be worth it for SOME business people, but for the most of us it's plain and simply terrible.

Cheers

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply.

May I ask you a favor?

Could you share panel information of the non Sureview display?

If possible, I'll replace the panel only.

Below capture is mine.

Sure view FHD model.panel.png

HP Recommended

Hello,

As @HeimerHeimer has stated, the Sure View variant of the HP Spectre x360 Late 2018 has a trade-off of 120Hz and integrated privacy for brightness. I currently own a Sure View model as well and unfortunately, the brightness is concerning but I prefer the 120Hz over brightness so that's why I'm keeping it.

Essentially, the Late 2018 edition of the HP Spectre x360 has 3 display variants: 1080p Intel 1W panel, 120Hz low brightness integrated privacy 1080p screen, and 4K. 

@32swee I can share the panel information of the non Sure View model but I am not completely sure if the replacement is viable and even if it is, unfortunately, HP parts are extremely difficult to obtain in Korea. 

Regards,

Eddy

I used to be an HP Expert. I no longer participate in this community.
HP Recommended

I'll replace it by myself later when I need more bright screen.

I think I can get it from ebay or aliexpress.

Please let me know the panel information.

Thanks.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.