Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Envy
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My power settings are set to "never" for display and HD (I even did the while not plugged in ones to Never trying to work this out), and my screensaver is set to 20 minutes.  However, whenever I am idle for 60 seconds, the screen goes blank and the system no longer responds to my wireless mouse or keyboard and I have to tap the physical keys on the laptop to wake it up.  Then, the image recognition doesn't recognize me and I have to use my pin to sign in, even though it works if I lock the system and return or restart things.  I've gone into the power settings several times, as well as the screen saver settings, and they are still set to "never" and 20 min for screen saver (however, the ss keeps switching over to (none) when I had a screensaver picked out).

This is a recent development over the last two days.  Previously, the system would remain on as long as it was plugged in, which is what I want as I need to jump right in when something hits me to write about.

This is extremely annoying as I am a novelist and frequently have to pause to read back sections of my work, or stop and think about what to write next.  It also makes reading emails and articles **bleep** near impossible.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello HAHarvey

I assume you also when into the Advacned settings and set Sleep after to Never and Hibernate after to Never. correct?

You should also go into the command prompt as Administrator, and disable Hibernate.

Tap the Win key and X key together. Choose Command Prompt Admin.

Type this command...

powercfg -h off

and hit the Enter key.

Then exit.

Restart the computer to make sure it takes.

Does that help?

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hello HAHarvey

I assume you also when into the Advacned settings and set Sleep after to Never and Hibernate after to Never. correct?

You should also go into the command prompt as Administrator, and disable Hibernate.

Tap the Win key and X key together. Choose Command Prompt Admin.

Type this command...

powercfg -h off

and hit the Enter key.

Then exit.

Restart the computer to make sure it takes.

Does that help?

HP Recommended

I had gone into the advanced settings, and restarted.  However, that command prompt step and restarting seemed to work.  Thank you!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.