Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP 15-dw1168ur
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

After OS installation, touchpad doesn't work and not detected by Windows.

Also, some other components are not installed properly.

_Device manager.png

I have dowloaded drivers from HP download page, but unable to install them.

Chipset, graphics, touchpad, etc.: Every time when I'm trying to install driver, the installation tool  gives the same message like this:

_driver not supported-2.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

The only suggestion I can offer, would be to try manually installing the drivers.

For example with the SmBus controller...

You need this chipset driver for it since your processor is an Intel comet lake processor.

Intel Chipset Installation Utility and Driver - Comet Lake

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp98501-99000/sp98522.exe

If you get the same error, go to the device manager.

Click on the Smbus controller needing the driver.

Click on the driver tab.  Click on Update driver.

Select the Browse my computer for drivers option and browse to the driver folder that was created when you ran the driver.

That folder will be located in C:\SWSetup\sp98522.

Make sure the Include subfolders box is checked and see if the driver installs that way.

If you post the hardware ID's for the other devices, i will see what drivers you need to manually install for those.

Use this guide for how to find the hardware ID for a device.

How to Find Drivers for Unknown Devices in the Device Manager (howtogeek.com)

The PCI Data Acquisition device may also be installed by that driver.  One of two drivers install that device.

One of the PCI devices may also be installed by that driver and the other one may be the SD card reader driver, but I need the hardware ID's to confirm.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

I've checked touch pad from UEFI diagnostik tool - it works properly. But windows doesn't see it at all...

_winver2.png

_Updates.png

Can anybody help me with this issue?

HP Recommended

Hi:

The only suggestion I can offer, would be to try manually installing the drivers.

For example with the SmBus controller...

You need this chipset driver for it since your processor is an Intel comet lake processor.

Intel Chipset Installation Utility and Driver - Comet Lake

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp98501-99000/sp98522.exe

If you get the same error, go to the device manager.

Click on the Smbus controller needing the driver.

Click on the driver tab.  Click on Update driver.

Select the Browse my computer for drivers option and browse to the driver folder that was created when you ran the driver.

That folder will be located in C:\SWSetup\sp98522.

Make sure the Include subfolders box is checked and see if the driver installs that way.

If you post the hardware ID's for the other devices, i will see what drivers you need to manually install for those.

Use this guide for how to find the hardware ID for a device.

How to Find Drivers for Unknown Devices in the Device Manager (howtogeek.com)

The PCI Data Acquisition device may also be installed by that driver.  One of two drivers install that device.

One of the PCI devices may also be installed by that driver and the other one may be the SD card reader driver, but I need the hardware ID's to confirm.

HP Recommended

Hi Paul,

Indeed, it works!

Probably, the problem is not in drivers, but in HP's installer, which checks for windows version, and doesn't install driver if the version is older than stated. 

Fortunately, the installer unpacks the driver files before, and this can be used for manual installation by windows' means, as you've described. 

So, I've downoaded all the latest drivers for my model from HP site, and then installed all of them manually. Everything is working now. 

Thank you very much for such detailed instructions!

HP Recommended

You're very welcome and you are 100% correct.

The driver installer (gatekeeper) checks the OS version, etc., and if things don't match up for what the installer is looking for, it reports an error.

Manually installing the driver bypassed the 'gatekeeper,' and as long as the hardware ID for the device matches one in the driver setup information file, the driver will install.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.