Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY Notebook - 17t-n100
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

A few weeks ago an automatic windows update installed on my machine. Once it was rebooted, the touchscreen didn't work anymore! I am able to disable/enable it in the device managers, and only SOMETIMES this will get it to work, however more than 50% of the time it doesn't help. Same observation occurs when I reboot, it'll only works very infrequently.

I looked for a driver update, but windows says it is the latest driver. Wasn't able to find the driver for this on hp's website.

Any advice?

Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@Sparky_1979, Welcome to HP Support Community!

I have a few steps that should resolve your concern:  

I recommend checking if the Touch is working on BIOS (Accessed by tapping on F10 while restarting the computer). 

If it works on bios, it's a software issue, update the drivers from the HP Website, if the issue persists: please reinstall windows using the recovery partition or the recovery media to fix the issue 

Attempt to run a test using the HP hardware diagnostic tool

If it doesn't work on BIOS or the diagnostics tool either,  it's a hardware failure and you may need to Contact HP to set up a hardware repair service. 

Keep me posted.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello TEJ1602,

I have been looking all over for the driver on the HP website, but it doesn't seem to be listed for this specific piece of hardware. I was able to find all of the other 20 or so drivers, but not one for the touchscreen.

I'll check this out in the bios tonight. thanks for the advice!

HP Recommended

@Sparky_1979

Sure, keep me posted for further assistance.

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

drivers.PNGHello,

I ran the BIOS and the touchscreen did not work when I was in that environment. I attempted to look for the driver again, but it doesn't seem like HP has it on it's driver download page. See attached. Could you help me locate this?

By the way, I ran the automatic driver update via the device manager, but it says the latest is installed. However, I was told that sometimes windows doesn't always link to the most current driver, and best to manually install it. So I'd like to try to manually install the driver before moving forward.

Again, this only started because of a windows updates...... ughhh

Thanks!

HP Recommended

@Sparky_1979

Thanks for replying!

You can try updating the computer and also run the HP Support Assistant updates which will help you install the latest drivers.

Step 1 Windows Updates - 

1) In the search box, type, and open Windows Updates. 

2) Check for updates. 

3) If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer. 

Step 2 HP Support Assistant Updates - 

1) In the search box, type, and open HP Support Assistant. 

2) Check for updates. 

3) If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer. 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply, I tried the HP Support Assistant, however, it didn't find any new driver either.

Does HP maintain the drivers for this hardware? Or does it come from an HP supplier? I cant find it at all. if so, can you link to it directly or provide some insight as to where it is?

Also, I created a new problem I thought might fix it... I uninstalled the hardware form the device manager all together. In the past I was able to select "Scan for hardware changes" in order to reinstall it - but that didn't work this time! Do you know where I can find the files to reinstall just the touchscreen?

Thank you for all of your help!

HP Recommended

@Sparky_1979

Thanks for replying!

I would further recommend you perform a system restore on your computer. Refer to the document HP PCs - Performing a System Recovery (Windows 10) for help.

Keep me posted. 

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.