Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Are you having HotKey issues? Click here for tips and tricks.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion TouchSmart 14-n055sa Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I had to reinstall windows 10 on my laptop, and afterwards, the touchscreen will not work. 

I have the following Human Interface Devices listed in Device Manager:

chrisined_0-1596980810803.png

I have disabled/uninstalled/reinstalled all the above devices several times, which has not helped. 

Also, windows does recognise that the device has a touchscreen:

chrisined_1-1596980918859.png

I have done all the windows updates available to me. I have used the HP support assistant to update all the drivers it says I need. 

I have even tried 'Driver Booster' to download and install what it thinks are missing drivers. When I do this, it updates the 'USB Input Device' (shown in the first screen clip above). Once it has performed this update, Device Manager looks a lot different with just two items under 'Human Interface Devices' and an extra device (which wasn't there previously) 'USB Touchscreen Controller (A107)' - under Mice and other pointing devices.

chrisined_2-1596981161677.png

However, after doing this the touchscreen still does not work and moreover the 'Pen and Touch' Information now says that there is no such input available for this display.

chrisined_4-1596981282246.png

I work in IT and pretty tech savvy, but I am at a loss here. Can someone please confirm exactly which drivers I should be using on this device? 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@chrisined

Welcome to HP Community

I have gone through your Post and would like to help

May I know how did you reinstall the Windows? Did you use the HP Recovery Media?

Was the touchscreen working before reinstalling Windows?

Keep me posted

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi there,

Thank you so much for replying and for offering to help. Apologies for the slow response, I've been away.

Yes - the touchscreen was working just a few weeks ago. The laptop shipped with windows 8 and it upgraded to windows 10 and I think it was through this route that the touchscreen continued to work. Then a few weeks ago, I needed to reinstall windows and it stopped working following this. 

I have the original (windows 😎 recovery media on a USB key. I tried re-installing windows using this, thinking I would then do the upgrade to windows 10 again, however, whenever I try to use the recovery drive, the installation fails. It fails irrespective of which option I select (full factory reset, restore or minimal restore). 

On the other hand, Windows 10 installs just fine using a usb created with the MSFT media creation tool - but the touchscreen will not work with this route.

I'd really appreciate some advice about how to fix this. With many thanks.

HP Recommended

@chrisined

Thanks for keeping me posted

Please perform a Touchscreen Test ad let me know if that works

1. Connect the AC adapter to the computer.

2. Press the Power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.

3. Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second. When the Startup menu appears, press F2.

4. When the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics screen displays, click Component Tests.

Component Tests in HP PC Hardware Diagnostic UEFI

5. Click Touch Screen.

6. There are two interactive touch screen hardware tests. Click Touch Pointer Test first.

Touch Pointer Test in UEFI

7. Read the on-screen instructions, and then click Run once.

8. Touch each of the blocks on the screen to erase them. The test ends after you erase all the blocks or after three minutes have passed, and the results display.

Touch the blocks to erase them

9. Click Main menu to return to the main screen.

10. Click Component Tests, and then click Touch Screen.

11. Click Drag And Drop Test.

Drag and Drop Test in UEFI

12. Read the on-screen instructions, and then click Run once.

13. Drag each orange rectangle to the box indicated by the arrows with a finger or a stylus. The test ends after you reposition all the blocks or after three minutes, and the results display.

Drag the blocks to the correct empty box

You can refer to this Link: https://support.hp.com/hr-en/document/c03488148

Keep me posted

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.