Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
ENVY x360 M6 Convertible
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Does the USB-C on the HP ENVY x360 M6 support video out for USB-C Docking Stations that support (HDMI) video thru the USB-C port?

• I am looking to add two monitors to my laptop to extend my desktop (Not Mirror)
  • cant seem to find anything in the HP manuals that tell you if the USB-C port on this device supports video output

Thanks in advance for your help

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@WHCIII 

Before we can help, we need to know what EXACTLY is your ENVY x360 M6 Convertible ? Please use the following instructions to find out the model/product of your machine:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03754824

or

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00033108

Please do NOT post its Serial number (s/n).

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Model   HP ENVY x360 m6 Convertible   M6AQ105DX

Product number W2K44UA#ABA

Let me know if you need anything else and thanks for the help

@WHCIII

HP Recommended

I am new to the community, but does anyone have an answer for this question regarding my USB C port?

HP Recommended

I am looking for a similar answer.  Found this post: 

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Does-HP-Envy-x360-m6-Convertib...

Not sure what they ended buying to make it work.  I need an adapter or hub/dock that has 2 HDMI inputs to extend monitors to the same laptop you have.  (W2K44UA#ABA)

HP Recommended

@banhien, @Huffer

After several attempts to get an answer on whether the USB-C port would support dual displays in extended mode, I went old school for an adapter that I was able to confirm worked to extend to external displays via USB3.0.

Solution:  I used my USB.3.0 port to connect a USB Display using a StarTech USB32HD2 dual HDMI Adapter

I have 2 X 27-inch SCEPTER monitors. They are running at 1920X1080P.thru the StarTech adapter via HDMI connections.  I have them running through a powered USB 3.0 Hub.

I am still able to use my laptop monitor as a separate monitor in the extended mode as well. (NOT MIRRORED)

Yep, I now have three separate monitors working on my desk in extended mode.  StarTech makes several adapter models and I got immediate phone support from StarTech when I called the help desk (only once).   

Got the adapter on Amazon and the shipping was the next day as promised.  I am not using this for games, so if that is your intent, please check the specs, etc for the StarTech Adapter.  No issues after using it for a month and far cheaper than many of the other USB Adapters on the market.

I still have no clue if the USB-C port on this laptop is capable of supporting two monitors in and Extended Mode.  Good luck on getting that answer.

Hope this helped.

WHCIII

HP Recommended

Thank you!  I will give it a try.  I was down the path of finding a dock or hub that supports DisplayLink based on the other thread.  The StarTech adapter you suggested is about 1/2 the cost.  Worth a try! 

HP Recommended

I was able to successfully extend my dual monitors (HP 22ers x2) using the USB3.1 port with the following adapter/mini dock: 

https://en.j5create.com/collections/usb-type-c-hubs/products/jcd381

So far, so good!  I am happy to know the USB 3.1 does support video.  It was a matter of getting the correct peripheral.  

Note:  I did download the current driver from the j5create site PRIOR to plugging the dock in my USB port.  

HP Recommended

I may have spoke too soon.  My audio doesn't seem to work with the USB C mini dock plugged in.  I'll do more digging and update if I figure out a solution. 

HP Recommended

Figured that out . . . Had to change the sound output to default back to my laptop rather than the USB-C.  Whew! 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.