cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
Highlighted
4 3 0 1
Message 1 of 10
Flag Post

USB-C port on the HP ENVY x360

HP Recommended
ENVY x360 M6 Convertible
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Does the USB-C on the HP ENVY x360 M6 support video out for USB-C Docking Stations that support (HDMI) video thru the USB-C port?

• I am looking to add two monitors to my laptop to extend my desktop (Not Mirror)
  • cant seem to find anything in the HP manuals that tell you if the USB-C port on this device supports video output

Thanks in advance for your help

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Level 19
Level 19
85,592 85,479 10,856 23,248
Message 2 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@WHCIII 

Before we can help, we need to know what EXACTLY is your ENVY x360 M6 Convertible ? Please use the following instructions to find out the model/product of your machine:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03754824

or

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00033108

Please do NOT post its Serial number (s/n).

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

Highlighted
Author
4 3 0 1
Message 3 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Model   HP ENVY x360 m6 Convertible   M6AQ105DX

Product number W2K44UA#ABA

Let me know if you need anything else and thanks for the help

@WHCIII

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
4 3 0 1
Message 4 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I am new to the community, but does anyone have an answer for this question regarding my USB C port?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
10 9 0 0
Message 5 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I am looking for a similar answer.  Found this post: 

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Does-HP-Envy-x360-m6-Convertib...

Not sure what they ended buying to make it work.  I need an adapter or hub/dock that has 2 HDMI inputs to extend monitors to the same laptop you have.  (W2K44UA#ABA)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
4 3 0 1
Message 6 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@banhien, @Huffer

After several attempts to get an answer on whether the USB-C port would support dual displays in extended mode, I went old school for an adapter that I was able to confirm worked to extend to external displays via USB3.0.

Solution:  I used my USB.3.0 port to connect a USB Display using a StarTech USB32HD2 dual HDMI Adapter

I have 2 X 27-inch SCEPTER monitors. They are running at 1920X1080P.thru the StarTech adapter via HDMI connections.  I have them running through a powered USB 3.0 Hub.

I am still able to use my laptop monitor as a separate monitor in the extended mode as well. (NOT MIRRORED)

Yep, I now have three separate monitors working on my desk in extended mode.  StarTech makes several adapter models and I got immediate phone support from StarTech when I called the help desk (only once).   

Got the adapter on Amazon and the shipping was the next day as promised.  I am not using this for games, so if that is your intent, please check the specs, etc for the StarTech Adapter.  No issues after using it for a month and far cheaper than many of the other USB Adapters on the market.

I still have no clue if the USB-C port on this laptop is capable of supporting two monitors in and Extended Mode.  Good luck on getting that answer.

Hope this helped.

WHCIII

Highlighted
Level 1
10 9 0 0
Message 7 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you!  I will give it a try.  I was down the path of finding a dock or hub that supports DisplayLink based on the other thread.  The StarTech adapter you suggested is about 1/2 the cost.  Worth a try! 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
10 9 0 0
Message 8 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I was able to successfully extend my dual monitors (HP 22ers x2) using the USB3.1 port with the following adapter/mini dock: 

https://en.j5create.com/collections/usb-type-c-hubs/products/jcd381

So far, so good!  I am happy to know the USB 3.1 does support video.  It was a matter of getting the correct peripheral.  

Note:  I did download the current driver from the j5create site PRIOR to plugging the dock in my USB port.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
10 9 0 0
Message 9 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I may have spoke too soon.  My audio doesn't seem to work with the USB C mini dock plugged in.  I'll do more digging and update if I figure out a solution. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
10 9 0 0
Message 10 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Figured that out . . . Had to change the sound output to default back to my laptop rather than the USB-C.  Whew! 

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation