cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Fix HP Printer issue in macOS

A [software component] will damage your computer message displays when printing or while installing - Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Fix HP Printer issue in macOS

A [software component] will damage your computer message displays when printing or while installing - Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
Highlighted
4 3 0 0
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post

Solved!

USB C to Monitor - HDMI or DisplayPort

HP Recommended
HP Envy
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I bought this laptop little more than  a year ago and out of warranty now. I don't think my HDMI port was ever working but did not get that fixed until now. Since that could be due to hardware failure, I am not spending time on the HDMI issue and working on alternate solutions for connecting the laptop to external monitor. 

My laptop has the USB C port and the user guide says "Connects a display device that has a USB Type-C connector, providing DisplayPort output".  Before buying the cable for this, I am trying to understand whether this is a USB C to a HDMI cable of USB C to a DisplayPort cable. Will both cables work? 

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Level 19
Level 19
87,097 86,981 11,081 23,797
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@ExtMonitor_HDMI 

Please carefully read the statement "Connects a display device that has a USB Type-C connector, providing DisplayPort output". Because you are planing to buy a new monitor therefore buy the one which has USB-C connector.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

Highlighted
Author
4 3 0 0
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for your response. Sorry, I should have mentioned that I am planning to connect to my existing monitor which does not have USB C.  

The only two options available in my monitor are HDMI and DP port. I am trying to confirm if either of them would work by connecting to the USB C using the corresponding cable. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19
Level 19
87,097 86,981 11,081 23,797
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@ExtMonitor_HDMI 

Please try USB-C to DP and hope this work. I know many users have problem with USB-C (not Data Transfer Only) - HDMI

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

Highlighted
Author
4 3 0 0
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you very much. I will buy the cable next week and update it here. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 1 0 0
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Has the usb-c to displayport cable worked?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
4 3 0 0
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yes, I was able to use the USB-C to Display port cable to connect to the external monitor. 

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation