Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 15-eb0xxx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have been having serious problems getting this to add a monitor using a usbc to displayport or a usbc to hdmi adapter. It will occasionally work for a few minutes, then suddenly decide the extra monitor is not there. Sometimes it will still see the monitor, but nothing will be displayed on the monitor.

I have 2 Scepter 30in C305B monitors and have tried it with both and the same issue occurs. I have tried multiple cables, multiple adapters, and both usbc ports on the laptop. I have tried with and without having a monitor also attached to the built in hdmi port. I've restarted both monitors and unplugged them and done the same with the laptop several times. I have also tried disabling the laptop monitor and trying to display only on the external monitor. I've gone back and forth with drivers for the displays and the video card. I've already spent like a total of 8+ hours playing with this over a few days and nothing seems to work reliably. Every time I think I get it working, it eventually decides to stop working. If the computer is turned off, the monitors turned off, or even go to sleep, it stops working and I have to spend another hour fighting with it to get it to work and many times I can't get it to work. 

I want to be able to switch between using a single monitor when I'm "at work" and have the other monitor attached to my laptop, but when I'm not working, hook both monitors up to my personal laptop. I don't need to have the laptop monitor running if I have both monitors hooked up to my personal laptop. 

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@vegashepliin

Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details:

Note: Not all the USB-C ports can output video signals.

Keep me posted for further assistance.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
  • Is this first time setup?
    • For this laptop yes mostly. I have had the laptop for about a month, but this was the first time trying to get it setup with multiple external monitors
  • Are you getting any pop when USB adapter plugged in?
    • I get no pop up when attaching USB adapter
  • What is the exact product number of your device? Use this link to find it: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03754824
    • 9GB30UA#ABA

I was getting video for a bit at one point but every time I go away from the computer and it turns off or goes to sleep or even just turns off display, it will stop functioning and I have to fight to get it to work again and now I can't seem to get it to work at all.

Also, just recently, when using the hdmi port, I am now also getting where the external display turns off for a moment then turns back on. It seems to happen pretty randomly as far as I can tell. Sometimes will happen a lot and sometimes will go an hour or two without happening at all. The main laptop monitor does not have this problem but all of my external monitors do.

HP Recommended

@vegashepliin

Thank you for posting back.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, I have a few troubleshooting steps we could try to fix the issue:  

Firstly, perform Windows Update and HP Support Assistant: (do not skip any troubleshooting steps if you feel steps are repeating) 

To check for updates now, select the Start button, and then go to Settings  > Update & security  > Windows Update, and select Check for updates.

Install updates from HP Support Assistant: Go to Download HP Support Assistant to install the tool.

1. To open HP Support Assistant, double-click the HP Support Assistant icon https://support.hp.com/doc-images/932/c05040382.jpg.
  2. Click My devices in the top menu, and then click Updates in the My PC or My notebook pane.
  3. Click Check for updates and messages to scan for new updates.
  4. Review the list of updates. Updates with a yellow information icon are recommended. Updates with a blue information icon are optional.
  5. Click the update name for a description, version number, and file size.
  6. Select the box next to any updates you want to install, and then click Download and install.

And, also run BIOS update: Follow steps from the link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c00042629

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I had already done all this a couple days ago. I have several updates installed on 09/29/2020 including a bios update.

HP Recommended

@vegashepliin

Thank you for posting back. 

Since you have already tried most of the troubleshooting steps to resolve the issue and as we have limited support boundaries in the support community as of now. I would request you to contact our Support and our Support Engineers should be able to sort this out. HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance. Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.