Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Compaq Pro 6305
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

This update image showed up a few days ago down in the lower right hand corner of the screen, and when I click on the update link it will not go away. Anybody know how to get rid of it? I have included a picture so you can see what I am talking about. Many thanks!!

-MDHP Destop Image.JPG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Ichimoku

You are welcome.

You could well be right -- I cannot duplicate what you see.  I do have all notifications swtiched off and I have most application location settings OFF.

It appears to be a Location information alert / setting.  

Check here:

Settings > search for Location > Location

Check all the settings and adjust as desired

If you have  not done so -- and IF the software is installed -- uninstall "HP Update" from Programs and Features.  The software has been retired and is no longer functional.  Restart the computer after the software is removed.  This may not have any impact on what you are seeing on your Google page but it should be done nonetheless.

Click Thumbs Up on a post to say Thank You!

Answered? Click post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Ichimoku

This appears to be a "location" alert from Google.

The following article shows you how to switch off location alerts / requests.

How to Stop Websites From Asking For Your Location

This Google Chrome How-to explains how to switch on / off notifications, including site permissions:

Google Chrome Help - Turn notifications on or off

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Hello Dragon-Fur,

I appreciate your input, but I don't think this has anything to do with Google. The reason I say that is because I looked at the setttings you spoke of and I changed one and left the other, but I was never asked about any update and if I remember correctly they were both set to ask first. Also, it doesn't make any difference what website I am on and even when I am off the web altogether with no browser open this update image from HP just sits in the lower right corner of the screen no matter what program is open. Even if just the desktop is in view with everything closed it's still there. I wish HP would have left well enough alone. This is irritating. Any other thoughts on how to get rid of it? Thanks again for your time and help!!

-MD 

HP Recommended

@Ichimoku

You are welcome.

You could well be right -- I cannot duplicate what you see.  I do have all notifications swtiched off and I have most application location settings OFF.

It appears to be a Location information alert / setting.  

Check here:

Settings > search for Location > Location

Check all the settings and adjust as desired

If you have  not done so -- and IF the software is installed -- uninstall "HP Update" from Programs and Features.  The software has been retired and is no longer functional.  Restart the computer after the software is removed.  This may not have any impact on what you are seeing on your Google page but it should be done nonetheless.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Dragon-Fur,

That was it, the HP Update. Following your instructions, I did an uninstall with Iobit's Unistaller (Free version) along with a computer restart, and that HP image has not showed up at all. Again, many thanks and I really do appreciate your help with getting that pesky thing off the desktop. Great Work!!

-MD 

HP Recommended

@Ichimoku

You are welcome.

I am glad sticky little message is good and gone!

Happy Computing.

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP devices and technology.

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.