Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion 14-al000nx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I purchased this laptop 3 weeks ago. The laptop specs say that is has an HD Webcam.

However, what I found is that the webcam image quality is very poor and so is the video quality.

Looks like a VGA cam. I though it might need driver update but I could find no webcam drivers.

Kindly help me to correct my webcam resolution.

Thanks,

Muneer.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi @muneerhp,

Thank you for showing your interest in the HP Forums,

I'd like to help 🙂

I see from the post that you are having video quality issues with your Webcam on your new HP Laptop. Don't worry as I have a few steps to help you get through this concern,

I did look at the product specification on your PC and found that it's gone with HP Wide Vision HD Camera with dual array digital microphone. 

Does this happen in any other application such as Skype, messenger?

Let's try these steps here: 

The webcam works, but the image is too dark or the video is choppy.

If the image is too dark, take the following actions:

• Make sure your video recording environment has good lighting.

• Change the image quality, brightness, contrast, and other adjustments in the webcam software.

To resolve problems with choppy playback, take the following actions:

• Reduce the size of the video image in the webcam software.

• Use a high-speed Internet connection.

• Do not use other high-speed USB devices while using the webcam.

For more details, click here

Let me know if those steps worked for you.  

If they did, that's awesome!  

Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
Dear Jeet,

Thank you for your reply.

The webcam displays poor picture quality not only in skype or any other app but also when I just use the cam (online or offline) to take pictures of shoot video, via Camera Apps.

There is enough lighting in my room and there is no darkness of choppy playback.

By looking at the quality of recording the camera is showing on the screen, anyone could tell that this is a pixel problem. The webcam display difinitely looks of inferior quality. This can never be termed as HD. There is no sharpness and all over the screen it looks as if there is dust particles vibrating very fast. Usually such issues are related to driver problem.

If you want, I can share a video recording and images with you.

Regards,
Muneer.
HP Recommended

Hi @muneerhp,

Thanks for the update,

I understand you  are having quality issues in different apps, let's try to run Testing a Webcam Using YouCam (Windows 10, 8, 7) - Click here

Keep me posted for further assistance.

I hope you have a good day ahead,

And Feel free to ask your queries as this forum has some of the best people in the world available and ready to help.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Jeet

I didn't buy a Dell or a Asus. I wanted a HP Laptop because of it's good ratings. Today in 2018  I have the same camera experience as Muneer had in 2016. This means HP is not capable in 2 years of installing better cameras into their machines. I went through the page you posted to resolve the problem. None of this works to get a better resolution of the cam. It is in fact a pixel problem and I'm sure HP knows that. This resolution reminds me of my first webcam I got in 1990. That's what it is and no excuses, because HP knows what hardware goes into their machines. It is a fraud on the customer because the description of the Laptop states it has a HD webcam. It's just very sad that HP is destroying it's reputation in such manner. I will not recommend HP to anybody.

Regards xaidoo

HP Recommended

I've had the exact same experience with the HP spectre.  Specs say it's a widevision HD camera and frankly, it looks horrible.  Grainy, poor resolution, poor color, etc.  I've tried every driver possible - it's not a driver issue or a lighting issue.  The camera is just extremely poor quality.  I've purchased HP desktops and laptops for many years, however this is so disappointing,  it will likely affect my decision to purchase another HP ever again.  

HP Recommended

Yes I am having the same issue as you all. I have an old HP Envy Laptop that had excellent webcam quality.  This "new" HD webcam in 2020 has awful quality and I will have to return my laptop and find something new.  I work remotely and do a lot of video conferencing and this is embarrassing.

HP Recommended

I have the same problem. I have HP Envy 360. I got it in November 2019. The quality of the webcam is alike VGA. Remember me the first generation of mobiles with a camera, Like a Nokia 6300.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.