Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Envy
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Purchased new HP Envy in Sep 2019. Cannot get the webcam to work. Suggestions?

Trying to use with Skype and Zoom; no success.

Running Microsoft Windows 10 (default OS)

Running McAfee Security

Have visited MS settings for privacy; that doesn't seem to be the problem.

Tried opening the webcam app; says "We can't find your camera" with error code: 0xA00F4244<No Cameras are attached>

Not sure how best to proceed.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello @MandKWoods,

A specific model name or product number would be appreciated. E.g. HP Spectre x360 - 13-ap0028ca or 5MT98UA#ABL

Information on how to find a laptop's model name or product number is detailed in this HP document. (Please do not post serial numbers on the HP Support Community. The difference between a product number and a serial number is that the product number contains a # sign)

However, I believe your HP ENVY model is one of the newest models HP is providing with a privacy camera kill switch. If you look on the right or left side of your laptop, you should see a small switch. Try moving it and a camera icon should appear on-screen. Your webcam should be functional now.

This is a new feature HP is rolling out on premium consumer level laptops, it's essentially an electrical switch cutting power off to the webcam to address privacy concerns. However, a lot of consumer are not very familiar with this.

Let me know if that helped, and if it didn't please provide the model number as mentioned above.

I used to be an HP Expert. I no longer participate in this community.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hello @MandKWoods,

A specific model name or product number would be appreciated. E.g. HP Spectre x360 - 13-ap0028ca or 5MT98UA#ABL

Information on how to find a laptop's model name or product number is detailed in this HP document. (Please do not post serial numbers on the HP Support Community. The difference between a product number and a serial number is that the product number contains a # sign)

However, I believe your HP ENVY model is one of the newest models HP is providing with a privacy camera kill switch. If you look on the right or left side of your laptop, you should see a small switch. Try moving it and a camera icon should appear on-screen. Your webcam should be functional now.

This is a new feature HP is rolling out on premium consumer level laptops, it's essentially an electrical switch cutting power off to the webcam to address privacy concerns. However, a lot of consumer are not very familiar with this.

Let me know if that helped, and if it didn't please provide the model number as mentioned above.

I used to be an HP Expert. I no longer participate in this community.
HP Recommended

Thank you. That appeared to be the problem. I did NOT know about that switch.

HP Recommended

Yes!! This solved the issue! Had no clue that switch was there. So happy! Thank you! Thank you!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.