Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Dragonfly
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My HP Dragonfly webcam resolution, supposedly 720p, is terrible.  It's super noisy, like a tv from the 1970s.  Same bad quality as the elitebook x360 it replaced.  Everybody else on my Teams calls looks like they're on HD TV, but not me. I look like I'm on Etch-a-Sketch.  How can I fix this?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hello @kxb  If you could post a screen shot of an example, it might help us see what you mean.

HP Recommended

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1USKOUNfN7PTzW_M_-w-UmqQ62BG9sLaZ/view?usp=sharing

Here's a take from the Camera app in Windows 10.  The noise is most visible on my shirt, but its all over.

HP Recommended

Ah yes, thanks for the image.

You made a key point earlier when you said, "Same bad quality as the elitebook x360 it replaced"? Ive asked about this very thing recently and was told the new successors to your series will have much improved cams (not knowing what model you have exactly).

Unfortunately this does not help you any. I don't think its going to improve much, but you could try reinstalling the driver. If this does not help, I'm afraid your only other alternative would be to use an external webcam.

Go to the windows "Device Manager" from the Search bar. In the list of devices, look for Cameras. Drop the little arrow down to reveal the webcam. Right click on it and choose Uninstall. When done, reboot the laptop.

It will look something like this...

device manager camera.JPG

Also, your lighting looks a bit low like there's only one lamp. Is it possible to set up 2nd light to test with? This will improve noise also. When I do a vid conference, I have a hand held shop light with a bright LED house bulb pointed at me from behind my monitor. That besides the house lamp with the lamp shade removed helped mine quite a bit.

Example of my cheap lighting setup. 😏

lighting for webcam.jpg

Tell me the product number of your Dragonfly and I'll see if there are any updates listed for the webcam. Perhaps it might help. The PN can be found in the HP Support Assistant or press Control/Alt/S for the information menu in windows.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.