Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JesseGMX
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Webcam stopped working correctly after KB4522741 (Cumulative Update for .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.8)

HP Pavilion x360 14-ba004la
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, everybody.

I work as an online teacher and I use a virtual classroom that runs on the web browser. That platform has an button for uploading assets I can use during the class. The video call goes well until the browser loses focus or an "Open file dialog" is opened, even when such dialog is opened by another program, like Notepad; it also happens when I open a Windows Explorer window. As soon as the web browser window loses focus, the video stream stutters for a couple of seconds and then stops altogether until a few seconds after the browser regains focus. I also tried calling a relative on the web version of Google Duo (http://duo.google.com) to make sure my teaching platform was not causing the issue and the problem persisted across all the web browsers I tried.

I did a system restore to uninstall KB4522741 (Cumulative Update for .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.8) and it solved the issue. I wonder if .NET Framework is used by the webcam driver, as the issue is cross-browser. If it is, it must not be compatible with the latest .NET Framework update. Would the HP developers please look into this? It can severely affect my job and, although I have blocked the offending update, a future update can bring the problem back. Thank you in advance.
My computer specs:
> HP Pavilion x360 14-ba004la.
> Intel Core i5-7200U @ 2.71 GHz.
> 6 GB of DDR4 2133 RAM.
> Intel HD Graphics 620.
> HP Wide Vision HD Camera (Hardware ID: USB\VID_04F2&PID_B5D6&REV_3222&MI_00).
> Windows 10 1903 (OS Build 18362.476).
> Google Chrome 78 stable, Brave 1.0 stable, Firefox 70 stable.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
21,477 21,432 1,808 2,893
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Webcam stopped working correctly after KB4522741 (Cumulative Update for .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.8)

@JesseGMX I suggest you follow the below steps to resolve this issue, meanwhile, I've sent the details you've mentioned to the concerned team and they should be able to resolve such issues in the future, as off now, these steps should help:

A webcam that was working in one of the pre-installed programs suddenly stops working after installing Windows updates or after installing a recommended update to YouCam or MediaSmart.

To resolve this issue, reinstall the original HP Webcam-101 or Microsoft USB Video Device driver.

Here's how to Reinstall an HP Webcam Driver in Windows

1. In Windows, search for and open Device Manager.

2. Double-click Imaging Devices to expand the list of webcam drivers.

3. If the HP Webcam-101 or Microsoft USB Video Device is listed, right-click the driver and select Update Driver Software and follow the on-screen instructions.

4. Restart your computer, and open your webcam software to see if the problem is resolved.

If the problem persists, use HP PCs - Using Microsoft System Restore (Windows 10, 😎 to go back to a time when the webcam was working properly.

5. For more details: click here

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 😉

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
JesseGMX
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for replying. I have blocked the offending update, but I will try your suggestion in case the problem happens again.

Have a good day.

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
21,477 21,432 1,808 2,893
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@JesseGMX That's great, please do, although I hope it continues to work without any issues as such, 

Keep us posted if you need anything else.

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation