Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
15-P002LA (F4J00LA)
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Ok I'm having an issue with my PC

First of all I must mention english is not my first language. Now, going to the issue, I have HP Pavilion 15-P002LA (F4J00LA), with Windows 8.1 (x64) installed, Processor is AMD A8- APU with AMD Radeon R5 Graphics, BUT there is an AMD Radeon R7 M260 as a "Linked" (Dedicated) GPU. It's said that such GPU is used on high performance programs such as games, by example, but I have noticed that none of my games uses the R7 M260, so I went to every forum to see how to "Enable" the Dedicated Video card and some suggestions were:
-Disable R5 from Device Manager (didn't work), instead, it gave me the default driver(?)
-Update drivers (didn't work since they are always updated)
-Understand the switchable graphics works with high graphic demand (tested with third partner software, didn't work), I tried overclocking but the only Graphic card working is R5 and R7 does not move.
-Configure the graphics to Max Performance via Catalyst (didn't work), everything is configured to run in Max Performance
-BIOS (there is no option for Graphics handling there)

Is there a way I can make my R7 M260 GPU work? As I said, I tried everything on forums, I've understood that it only works on High graphic demand which I think is a lie since every game I've ran so far gave me less than 30 fps and running only on the integrated GPU, and just saying, I've ran all my games with high graphic demand (max specs) as wells as low demand (low specs) and in low specs it gives me a Max of 30 fps on every game...

TL;DR

Is there any way I can make R7 M260 GPU work? Because it seems I have dead weight in my Laptop.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Thank you for joining the HP Support Forums @ddlion7, 

I would be more than happy to do what I can to help resolve the Graphics issue you are having on your HP Pavilion 15-p002la Notebook PC.

You had mentioned that in the BIOS, there are no settings regarding graphics handling. Notebooks that have switchable graphics operate in one of two modes: Fixed Mode or Dynamic Mode. Using the Fixed Mode drivers on a Notebook that supports Dynamic Mode will not work and vise versa. 

Earlier Notebook Models supported Fixed Mode while later Notebook Models support Dynamic Mode; I thought that tid bit of detail might be worth mentioning. 

Please right-click the desktop background.

Do you see a Configure option?

Can you please provide me with a screenshot of that menu when you re-post?

When you go into the BIOS do you see either of those modes displayed?

What version of the driver(s) do you currently have?

Where did you get the updated driver(s) from?

Do you have more than one Graphics Driver in the Device Manager?

Could you please uninstall all of the Graphics Drivers:  

• Open Device Manager,
  • Expand Graphic Driver section,
  • Uninstall the Graphics Drivers, 
  • Restart the Notebook twice.

What do you see in the Device Manager now?

Could you please provide me with a screenshot?

Have you done your Windows Updates?

Have you done updates using the HP Support Assistant?

Here is a link to the HP Support Assistant if you need it. Just download and run the application and it will help with the software and drivers on your system that need updating. The HP Support Assistant usually pulls in not just the most updated driver, but one that should be compatible as well. 

I checked the HP Pavilion 15-p002la Notebook PC Product Specifications and it states that the Video Graphics are AMD Radeon R7 M260 graphics with 2048MB DDR3L and up to 6400MB total graphics memory. It does not specify if they are switchable and it does not mention the R5.

You had mentioned that your Notebook does not appear to be registering that the R7 is being used. Please take a look at the Switchable Graphics on Notebooks Configured with Dual AMD GPUs documentation. You will see that they explain the way that the graphics can look at times.  

This is a fantastic question that I feel others may have also; please click the Accept as Solution if you feel this post has helped you, or could help others. You can say thanks and show appreciation easily by clicking the Thumbs Up below!

Please answer the questions above and re-post with the information request and any additional information you feel may be important for me to know to better help with a resolution. 

Take care! 

Have a wonderful weekend! 

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Configure Option Screenshot
GPU.PNG

Here we can see I have two Hardwares, the R5 (primary) and the R7 M260 (linked)

Now, I will answer the questions in order:

Q/: When you go into the BIOS do you see either of those modes displayed?
A/: Nope, in fact, there is no option of anyway we can manipulate graphics

Q/: What version of the driver(s) do you currently have?

A/: As seen in the Software version, this is the latest version of the driver (16.5.1).

Q/: Where did you get the updated driver(s) from?
A/: Catalyst autoupdate (it went from Catalyst to Crimson)

Q/: Do you have more than one Graphics Driver in the Device Manager?
A/: Nope

You asked for this:

Could you please uninstall all of the Graphics Drivers:  

• Open Device Manager,
  • Expand Graphic Driver section,
  • Uninstall the Graphics Drivers, 
  • Restart the Notebook twice.

But I already did that, first time Wiindows loaded the system with the Microsoft Basic Display Driver, and the Windows downloaded me one of the earliest drivers for my video card from Windows Update (getting me Catalyst, an older version of the actual driver), then Windows requested another restart... After the restart, the Catalyst gave me the suggestion to update to Crimson (actual Interface), I did; still, I have the option to enter to the old Catalyst interface from Advanced Options on Radeon Settings.

By the way, in the Device Manager, after uninstalling drivers, I saw only the Basic Display Driver as "Display Driver", cannot provide an actual screenshot because it was like two or three weeks ago.

Q/: Have you done your Windows Updates?

WinUpdate.PNG

Sorry I update once a month since almost every update is a Hotfix or Security Updates for Windows Defender

Q/: Have you done updates using the HP Support Assistant?
A/: Yes:

support assistant.PNG

I already reviewed the Switchable Graphics page yesterday, and all I can say is all my games run on DX10-11(that way, the integrated and the dinamic should work together) and only one game runs on Vulkan but still Vulkan has been the one who gave me better performance than the other ones (45fps at max) in a low graphic demand game

Thanks for the answer! 🙂

HP Recommended

Hi there @ddlion7, 

Thank you again for getting back to me. It is always my pleasure to do my best to help. I have done some extensive research on your particular Notebook and all of the specifications for your Notebook and AMD compatibilities. 

The HP Pavilion 15-p002la Notebook PC Product Specifications state that the Video Graphics are AMD Radeon R7 M260 graphics with 2048MB DDR3L and up to 6400MB total graphics memory only. There are no switchable graphics capabilities or any other components. 

You do have the 2.4/2.0GHz AMD Quad-Core A8-6410 Processor that works in conjunction with the AMD Radeon R7 M260 graphics to allow you great graphics capabilities, but not switchable ones. 

My suggestion would be to Restore the BIOS, Uninstall ALL graphics adapters and it's software, and then reinstall only the drivers that are compatible with your Notebook from the HP Supported Website. The only driver that you would need is the AMD High-Definition (HD) Graphics Driver: sp67286.exe. Do not install any other driver's from any other websites (Catalyst included). 

I checked the AMD Website for more information about the AMD Radeon R7 M260. I found that you may have to update the DirectX to 12 instead of 10 or 11. The newest updates are most compatible with DirectX12. 

These steps should provide the resolution for you :). 

Have a fantastic day! 

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Hello,

After trying everything you have said to me, nothing works, It still uses the R5 for everything, no matter how much I try, my FPS won't go further than 25-30 fps in any game or any heavy graphic program, so that's it... I hope HP realizes there is a major bug or issue that won't allow anybody to use the dedicated graphic card, because I'm not the only one with this issue, is everyone who have buyed an HP with AMD hardware/software. From my side, I know what to do, never get an HP again and sell this one as soon as possible, this PC does not work if it is not for more than watching social media, videos or university works (everything that you can do with a Tablet), that's why Alienware or MSI brands exist, and that's why Nvidia exists, to avoid this kind of issues and do not make people like me lose money again...

Thanks for your help anyways,

HP Recommended

clipboard_image_0.png

I have the same problem with my Notebook HP Pavilion 15-p002la. It's almos 6 years old, and I had not found a solution for the same problem. I have the money to buy a better laptop. However, I prefer to use something while it's able to work. Please, I really need help.

HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for posting in this thread. Unfortunately based on when the last response was made, I have closed this thread to help keep comments current and up to date. We recommend starting a new thread for your issue by clicking here.
To be more helpful with your post, you can add key information if you desire: 
1. Product Name and Number (please do not post Serial Number)
• Example: HP Pavilion DV2-1209AX or HP Deskjet 3000 Printer CH393A
2. Operating System installed (if applicable)
• Example: Windows XP, Windows Vista 32-bit, Windows 7 64-bit
3. Error message (if any)
• Example: ""Low disk space"" error in Windows
4. Any changes made to your system before the issue occurred
• Examples: Upgrading your Operating System or installing a new software; or installing new hardware like a printer, modem, or router.
If you have any other questions about posting in the community, please feel free to send me a private message!

Thank you

I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.