Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Pavilion dv6-7027nr
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have an HP Pavilion dv6-7027nr laptop for which I purchased a Crucial MX500 1TB SSD. I successfully cloned the laptop's existing (Win 7) hard drive onto the SSD.

I then downloaded the Microsoft media creation executable and used it to create a Win 10 ISO file on a thumb drive. Using this ISO file, I then overwrote the existing Win 7 OS with Win 10 - keeping existing data and executable files. For the most part, this operation was successful - the laptop is currently running Win 10 Home, but ...

My main negative issue is that for some reason, Win 10 does not recognize the Samsung SyncMaster 2494LW monitor I've got connected to the laptop. I have tried plugging it into both the VGA and HDMI ports - and get the same result.

As it turns out, my girlfriend has a work laptop running Win 10 which has a VGA port. When I connect the Samsung monitor to her laptop, it is recognized by Win 10.

On my laptop, the Win 10 device manager is reporting that there is a problem with the Intel HD Graphics 4000 driver - despite the fact that the Intel driver support assistant tool (which I downloaded from HP) indicates that the driver is up to date.

When I instruct the Device Manager to update the graphics driver, it responds that the best driver for the device is already installed.

Also, when I boot up the laptop, the notifications panel reports that the display driver failed to start and that the Microsoft Basic Display Driver is being used instead.

Additionally, the device manager lists (under Other devices), an Unknown device (with a yellow triangle that has an exclamation point inside).

So, at this point, I don't know what to believe, or what else to try. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@willy_wes

This is a driver issue

I suggest you download and run the HP Support Assistant from this Link: https://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/hpsupportassistant/hpsupport.html?jumpid=va_r602_us/en/any/psg/p...

HPSA will automatically search for all the latest drivers for your Notebook

1. Click My devices in the top menu, and then click Updates in the My PC or My notebook pane.

Click Updates in the My notebook pane

2. Click Check for updates and messages to scan for new updates.

Updates list in HP Support Center

3. Review the list of updates. Updates with a yellow information icon are recommended. Updates with a blue information icon are optional.

4. Click the update name for a description, version number, and file size.

5. Select the box next to any updates you want to install, and then click Download and install.

Also ensure Windows is up to date.

Select the Start  button, and then go to Settings  > Update & security  > Windows Update , and select Check for updates. If Windows Update says your device is up to date, you have all the updates that are currently available

Keep me posted how it goes

Thank you and have a wonderful day 😊

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello KrazyToad,

Thank you for your suggestions.

I downloaded the HP Support Assistant as you suggested and ran it. The tool came back with 15 Messages - which I assume are just general suggestions. More importantly, the tool reported "No updates available". I did rerun the tool a second time and got the same result.

HP Recommended

@willy_wes

Since this Notebook is an older model, there are no Windows 10 drivers for this Model.

You can try reinstalling the Graphics Drivers from Device Manager and check if that helps

- Select the Start  button, type Device Manager, and select it from the list of results.
- Look for Display Adapters and expand the List
- Look for Graphics driver then right-click it, and select Update Driver.
- Select Search automatically for updated driver software.
- If these steps don't work, try reinstalling the driver: Open Device Manager, right-click the display driver and select Uninstall. Restart your Notebook and Windows will attempt to reinstall the driver.

As per Intel download Center there are no Windows 10 drivers for the Intel® HD Graphics 3000

Link: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/81500/Intel-HD-Graphics-3000

You might have to revert back to the original Windows version

Thank you

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks, CrazyToad.

I begin to think that you are correct in your comment that there are no Windows 10 drivers for this model. It sure would be nice if the HP Support Assistant tool would report this - it seems to me like this is something that it should be able to do. Oh well...

I did let the Device Manager try again to find a driver for the Intel HD Graphics 4000 ( 4000 is what the Device Manager lists ). Once again, it tells me Windows believes the best driver is already installed. 

I'm a bit confused about your comment mentioning bluetooth driver. I don't believe that it's present on my laptop.

This experience has made me wonder if checking out Linix might be a worthwhile thing to investigate...

Anyway, thanks again for your time and consideration. It is greatly appreciated!

HP Recommended

@willy_wes

My apologies for the typo mistake regrading Bluetooth. I meant display driver. 😊

Do visit our HP Support Community and drop us a message anytime you need help

Thank you  

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.