Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Notebook - 15t-da000 CTO
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I want to turon off the touch pad when using a mouse.  I have tried all of the fixes mentioned here and on google withd bad results.

HP Notebook - 15t-da000 CTO

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hi @dmacd1

Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Try these steps to disable the touchpad - 

1) Right click on the start or the windows icon and open "Settings". 

2) Click on "Touchpad" option and un-check the "Leave touchpad on when a mouse is connected" option. 

If this does not work or if the option is missing, click on "Additional Settings" located on the right side of the screen. This will open up the "Mouse Properties" window - Click on "Disable", it is located wither in the "Touchpad" or "TouchStyk" tab. 

You may also refer to this document for further information. 

Let me know how that goes. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day!

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

The floor should mention here does not work at all. I tell cannot turn off my touch pad on my model of my HP laptop. The windows 10 green refer to here does not look anything like my window 10 screen. There in know where to turn off the touch pad.  Please advise.

HP Recommended

@dmacd1

Try re-installing the touch pad drivers and try again - 

1) Right click on the start or Windows icon and open the "Device Manager".
2) Expand the "Mice and other pointing devices".
3) Right click on the "Synaptics TouchPad".
4) Click on uninstall and restart the computer. 

If the issue still persists, try this registry fix - 

1) Open Registry Editor. To do so, open Run command by simultaneously pressing Windows + R keys, type Regedit.exe in the field followed by enter key. Click on the Yes button when you see the UAC prompt.

2) In the Registry Editor, navigate to the following key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Synaptics\SynTPEnh

3) On the right-side, create a new DWORD value and rename it as DisableIntPDFeature. Finally, change its value to 33 (make sure that Hexdecimal is selected under Base section).

4) Close the Registry Editor and reboot your PC to see Disable internal pointing device when external USB pointing device is connected option. 

Please backup the registry before trying the above steps. Refer to this documents for steps - HP PCs - Backing Up, Editing, and Restoring the Windows Registry 

Keep me posted. 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

If you have an Elan touchpad, follow these steps:

1) Navigate to Elan touchpad settings by searching "Elan" in the start menu.

2) You will probably arrive on ETD properties. Click on ELAN clickpad and then options.

3) On Touchpad disable zone settings, check the tickbox.

4) WIth one finger gently double tap the top-left corner of the touchpad to disable it.

5) To enable it again, simply repeat step 4.

I hope this helps. If not, try reading this article: https://support.hp.com/gb-en/document/c04648748.

HP Recommended

Thank you SO much for this very insightful solution! I had been getting very frustrated looking every where for a way to disable the touchpad and none of the options worked.

HP Recommended

I tried the double tap on the top-left of my Elan Clickpad, not working. My Elan Clickpad driver is the latest 21.2.26.1, dated 5/27/2019

HP Recommended

Hello,

I am sorry to hear that my solution didn't work for you.

I have just updated my "ELAN Clickpad" driver using Windows 10's built-in Driver Manager.

After updating it (to the latest version, it says), the driver is now version 21.2.23.2 (dated 09/04/2019, DD/MM/YYYY).

My driver appears to be older than yours (.23.2 rather than .26.1 and dated in April instead of May), perhaps this is why my solution didn't work for you.

Are you able to access the "Touchpad disable zone settings" in the way I described in my above post?

I will re-type the method I previously posted below to make it clearer and more detailed. I will also attach a screenshot of the window I am referring to:

1. Open the START Menu by clicking on the Start button (bottom-left of screen) or pressing the START key on your keyboard
  2. In the START Menu, type "Elan".
  3. Click on "ELAN Touchpad Setting" (if you don't see this, try reading this support page: GB version  /  US version or change the region at the bottom of one of those pages for other regions).
  4. You will probably arrive on ETD Properties. Click on ELAN Clickpad and then the "Options..." button
  5. At the bottom of the "One-finger" menu, there should be a "Touchpad disable zone settings" box. Within that, check the tick-box marked with "Double tap to enable or disable touchpad".)
  6. Click on "Apply", right at the bottom-right corner of the window.
  7. With one finger, gently double tap the top-left corner of the touchpad to disable it.
  8. To enable it again, repeat step 7.

Screenshot of menu (sorry if the resolution is low): 

This shows the correct configuration to allow you to enable/disable the touchpad using your finger.This shows the correct configuration to allow you to enable/disable the touchpad using your finger.

I don't tend to change the setting below the checkbox, but you can if you want to.

Note that my laptop is a UK laptop set to UK formatting. If you live in another country or region, the process may differ.

I am not an HP employee or a computer professional, I am only trying to help out from experience of using Windows 10 and HP laptops. 

HP Recommended

I found it!  Hopefully, this will work for you too.  If you click on Elan Touchpad Setting from the Start menu, a window will pop up that says, "ETD Properties" on it just like someone else said.  The Options button is not what you want.  It will disable some things, but you cannot disable one-finger clicking.  It wouldn't even turn off the touchpad when I clicked "Switch touchpad off."  If you look at the Options button, next to it is a "Stop Device" button.  That's it!  Click on that.  Click "Apply."  Click "Ok."  It will fully disable the touchpad.  It was hiding in plain sight but not what, it seems, many of us are used to so not obvious.  My Elan version is 21.2.24.1, so hopefully it's close enough in versions that you have the same window pop up with the same options.

HP Recommended

Some waste of time, none of these regular basic  skills toward current operating system, did not have absolutely any value here either.

Technically I will get my 994€ back from local IRS, I can prove that there is no way to get HP laptop to get work as normal W10 PC reflected to another manufacturer.  I will use these technical thread to prove that I have use hours after hours to get PC that I did purchase to perform my job, to try to get it work as normal PC.

It is now between IRS and HP. But I sure will get my money back on form of tax reduce.

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Home
Version 10.0.18362 Build 18362
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name LAPTOP-UK1A97UC
System Manufacturer HP
System Model OMEN by HP Laptop 15-dc0xxx
System Type x64-based PC
System SKU 4PN79EA#UUW
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8300H CPU @ 2.30GHz, 2304 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date AMI F.09, 11.6.2019
SMBIOS Version 3.2
Embedded Controller Version 93.22
BIOS Mode UEFI
BaseBoard Manufacturer HP
BaseBoard Product 84DA
BaseBoard Version 93.22
Platform Role Mobile
Secure Boot State On
PCR7 Configuration Elevation Required to View
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.18362.387"
Time Zone FLE Standard Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16,0 GB
Total Physical Memory 15,8 GB
Available Physical Memory 8,09 GB
Total Virtual Memory 18,2 GB
Available Virtual Memory 7,96 GB
Page File Space 2,38 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys
Kernel DMA Protection Off
Virtualization-based security Not enabled
Device Encryption Support Elevation Required to View
Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware No
Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.