Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Example: Pavilion
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

computer does not recognise dvd

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi@vicpartsWelcome to the HP Support Community!

I understand the CD/DVD drive is missing from the device manager on your PC.

Don't worry I'll try to help you out.

Did you make any software or hardware changes to your PC?

As you mentioned the DVD drive is missing from the device manager.

Try removing the optical drive from your laptop and reseat the drive back in securely and check if it is getting listed.

Please try the steps recommended below.

Unplug all non-essential external plug and play devices, especially cameras, and complete the following steps.
Click Start, and type "Regedit" into the Start Search field.
The registry editor window appears.
Select Computer in the main window.
Click File, Export, type a filename that is easy for you to remember, and click Save.
A copy of the registry has saved for back-up purposes to the Documents folder. If problems occur after using these steps, browse to the file and double-click it to restore the registry.
Click the plus sign (+) next to the following items in the list:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
SYSTEM
CurrentControlSet
Control
Class
Select 4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318. Make sure you have selected this exact key name.
Select the LowerFilters value and press the Delete key. Confirm the deletion by clicking Yes.

Refer to this article to further troubleshoot CD/DVD Drive Is Not Detected.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.