Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Elitebook 2570p
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, I added an external graphics card to my laptop using an external power supply. when i start pc the videocard and power supply turn on also. But in the device manegar I can only see the basic Intel Graphics under the subject "Display Adapters". so i guess i need to somehow switch the graphics card in the BIOS system. but all info on the internet is about the normal BIOS that i used to, but in this laptop it has this HP Bios that is very modern next to the basic one that i know (with the blue screen and gray letters) theres suppose to be an option to put Graphics device on "fixed" or something like that.. How can i do it in my bios system? theres no graphics option for that. I want my laptop to understand that a gpu is inside him and use it..

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

The BIOS does not expect an external video card. Those did not exist when the laptop was designed. Where did you plug in the external video card? Which slot? What type of external video card is it? 

The videocard will turn on because power goes to the mini-pci slot but not all slots are capable of carrying video signals. 

HP Recommended

Thanks for answer! ill explain more. I boguth GDC EXP V8.0 with an expresscard, a Seasonic 430W I12II Power supply. and the GDC EXP like i said is connected to the laptop by expresscard slot.

HP Recommended

@Huffer wrote:

The BIOS does not expect an external video card. Those did not exist when the laptop was designed. Where did you plug in the external video card? Which slot? What type of external video card is it? 

The videocard will turn on because power goes to the mini-pci slot but not all slots are capable of carrying video signals. 

Thanks for answer! ill explain more. I boguth GDC EXP V8.0 with an expresscard, a Seasonic 430W I12II Power supply. and the GDC EXP like i said is connected to the laptop by expresscard slot.

HP Recommended

Ain't gonna work. The external video cards I have seen work or at least have been reported to work here are mini-pci or mini pcie adapters that go into the wireless card slot and you have to remove the bottom cover. 

So the expresscard external video thing does not even show up as a second or extended monitor in Windows? 

Hit the Windows button and p key to see if the system will at least see it in addition to the laptop screen. 

You also understand the expresscard slot even if it worked would have limited bandwidth such that you cannot make use of a high-powered graphics card running to the system through it? It is the equivalent of a 1x pcie slot and video cards generally go through an 8x or 16x slot. 

I hope you did not pay a lot of money for it thinking it was going to turn an old laptop into a powerful gaming computer. Should have checked here first, if so. I checked the device online and there is a list of laptops known not to work with this device and there are a couple HPs from the same generation of hardware as your laptop. Gotta read the hype with a critical eye. 

HP Recommended

@Huffer wrote:

Ain't gonna work. The external video cards I have seen work or at least have been reported to work here are mini-pci or mini pcie adapters that go into the wireless card slot and you have to remove the bottom cover. 

So the expresscard external video thing does not even show up as a second or extended monitor in Windows? 

Hit the Windows button and p key to see if the system will at least see it in addition to the laptop screen. 

You also understand the expresscard slot even if it worked would have limited bandwidth such that you cannot make use of a high-powered graphics card running to the system through it? It is the equivalent of a 1x pcie slot and video cards generally go through an 8x or 16x slot. 

I hope you did not pay a lot of money for it thinking it was going to turn an old laptop into a powerful gaming computer. Should have checked here first, if so. I checked the device online and there is a list of laptops known not to work with this device and there are a couple HPs from the same generation of hardware as your laptop. Gotta read the hype with a critical eye. 

I saw that it worked on 2570p Elitebook with the expresscard version! i checked this stuff before i dont understand why doesnt it work.. when i hit windows and P i see two screens but i dont think it matter cause even when i plugged out the gpu it still show the same. btw i connected the videocard to an external monitor and it didnt even showed anything on the display... and yes i understand it wont run BF1 on full graphics setting.. i only want to play CSGO with more fps..
I realy appriciate ur help, what do u suggest me to do now?
sadasdasda.PNG

HP Recommended

I think you might sense that I do not have a lot of regard for these external video cards and I believe the sellers are preying on the gullible. 

Laptops with the new USB-C ports are another matter. That is a viable platform for external video and I have actually seen convincing video of external mini-pcie video cards working at least well enough that they display a picture. But for most who try to use these the story ends badly. 

I would see if I could get my money back. 

HP Recommended

Well i relize i didnt connect the gpu as it suppose to.. afteri connect it well, it does recongize the gpu, it installed himself and then even write Radeon 6000 series (I have amd 6950).. but the problem is that he dont have enough memory (error 12) Please help me understand what should i do.
heres even a video that egpu can work on 2570p. im not sure why u hate it so much, i saw many youtubers sharing theres benchmark and its pretty amazing..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0J6ltOrwSzU&t=154s
Please help me.

HP Recommended

I **bleep**ING DID IT! Thanks to Nando Evan (search on Facebook)!

i used to play Rocket Leauge on the lowest graphics on 40 fps,but now on the highest graphics even with anti aliasing and **bleep**, and i dont know how much fps but its a lot more then 60 fps!
External GPU using an EXP GDC V8.0, An AMD 6950, and a Seasonic PSU is possible!

good day!

HP Recommended
Congratulations
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.