Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 - 13-4193nr
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My keyboard back light won't turn on any more. the F5 key is the button to turn it on, and it still lights up, but when i hit it, all that happens is the button goes dark. Any ideas?

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hey there! @Redwing1964, Thanks for stopping by the HP Support Community!

Don't worry I'll try to help you out.

Excellent description and a great diagnosis done. It is greatly appreciated.

Use the onscreen keyboard on your PC to enable the backlight keyboard.

Select “Start” > “Settings“.
Choose “Ease of Access“.
Select “Keyboard“.
Set “On-Screen Keyboard” to “On” or “Off” as desired.

Press the Fn key+ F5 key to enable the backlight keyboard.

Try updating the BIOS and chipset drivers to the latest version on the PC. 

Update the BIOS using this link. Click Here

Also, update the chipset drivers using this link. Click Here

Also, To troubleshoot keyboard issues you can try the steps recommended below.

When the backlight is enabled using the key on the keyboard and the backlight stays on for only a few seconds, the backlight timeout setting might need to be configured in the BIOS.

NOTE:

If there is not a setting for the backlight timing in the BIOS, this behavior may not be supported on the notebook. Check product support documentation to verify.

Your BIOS version and screens might vary.

1. Restart the computer and immediately press the F10 repeatedly until the BIOS opens.

2. Navigate to the Advanced tab. Use the arrow keys to navigate in the BIOS.

Use the down arrow key to highlight Built-in Device Options, and then press Enter.

The Advanced tab showing Built-in Device Option highlighted

3. Use the down arrow key in the Built-in Device Options to select Backlit keyboard timeout.

4. Press the spacebar to open the keyboard backlight settings. Select the desired setting for timeout of the backlighting.

Backlit keyboard timeout options

NOTE:

Selecting Never makes the backlight stay on constantly unless yout turn it off with the function key on the keyboard. If it remains on, your battery power could drain quickly.

To check whether your particular model has a backlit keyboard, check the F5 key to see if the backlit keyboard key is present.

To turn the keyboard backlight on or off, press the F5 key.

Refer this document to know more information about turning the backlight keyboard on and off on your PC.

If you have issues turning the backlight on try uninstalling and reinstalling keyboard drivers and check if it helps.

In Windows, search for and open Device Manager.
Click View and select Show Hidden Devices.
Click the arrow next to Keyboards, right-click the keyboard device name, then select Uninstall to remove the device from Windows.
Continue removing device names in the Keyboards category until all device names have been uninstalled.
Restart the notebook. Right-click Start (), select Shut down or sign out, then select Restart.
Wait for the computer to restart and open Windows.

Refer this article to know more information about keyboard backlight issues. Click Here

Hope this answers your query!

I hope you have a great day! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Mr. Robot,

I appreciate your help. I tried each step you recommended with no success. the only step that was not as you described was the keyboard backlight timing in Bios. mine didn't have the advanced settings tab as you described. 

HP Recommended

@Redwing1964

Kudos on trying the steps suggested.

As you still have issues after trying out the steps.

It certainly sounds like a hardware issue. Please contact HP support for service options.

Contact HP support using this link. Click Here

Have a blessed day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

The question is about a specific computer. As an HP employee, you cannot look up to see the bios has no such setting?

That is poor indeed. This is an upper end computer, and we have a hobbled bios... sucks. The timeout is way too short, and should also be different if plugged in or on battery.

Greg

HP Recommended

A month later and no response?

Clearly the hp Spectre series is NOT the elite product is is touted to be. I can tell you the hours I wasted trying to even get to the "special spectre support group", I have a case number on another poor product implementation (charging) and have NEVER gotten a reply from the special team.

Why a support person cannot access the BIOS capabilities of a specific computer is inexcusable, it shows a lack of training and resources.  (and my backlight timeout is still too short!!!)

HP Recommended

Hey,

I'm just writing to say that I had the exact same problem with my HP Spectre x360 13-4108NA after owning the laptop for 3 years or so. I tried every software solution (i.e., BIOS, drivers, etc.) I could think of but had no success. I finally solved the problem by buying and fitting a replacement keyboard. The keyboard backlight now works as it originally did. I can only conclude that something in the backlight circuitry of my original keyboard failed. 

To replace the keyboard correctly, I followed a YouTube guide provided by HP. Unfortunately - as I found for my x360 model - this process requires an almost complete disassembly of the laptop internals.

Hope this helps,

Fraser

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.