Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 - 13-4003dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Trying to connect my laptop to an Apple 30" cinema display that has a resolution of 2560 x 1600.

I have seen a post saying the spectre can only support up to 1900x1200

However, I have seen another reference saying that the Intel 5500 can support in excess of the resolution I need to run the Cinema Display.

Can you please advise, so I know which direction to go on an external monitor connection.

thanks

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi,

Yes, it supports

High-definition multimedia interface (HDMI) v.1.4b, supporting up to 1920×1200 at 60 Hz

Please try:

https://www.startech.com/au/AV/USB-Video-Adapters/usb-3-4k-hdmi-adapter~USB32HD4K

Note: I have not tested it (or similar adapters).

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Thank you for your response.  I am however, still a bit confused.  Are you saying the maximum limit of the resolution a spectre laptop will  support, for an external display, is 1900x1200?  If so, then that will limit any external display to a maximum of 24". 

My preference would be to be able to utilize the full resolution capacity of the imbedded Intel 5500 processor which I seen reference a resolution that exceeds my 30" Apple Cinema Display resolution of 2560x1600.  The cinema display uses a DVI connection so it is my understanding that the only type of adapter that can support that resolution would be a "dual-link DVI to mini-display port" adapter.

So i guess to be clear:

1) Can the Spectre (with the correct adapter) support a resolution of 2560x1600?

2) IF not, is 1900x1200 the maximum resolution that the Spectre can support for an external monitor?

Thank you, Kevin

HP Recommended

Hi,

I did mention above

1. The USB option would support 4K resolution. I have not tested it. Last month, I did test my loan x360  15" 4K screen plus 2 other x360 UHD 13" machines with an HDMI 2.1 cable and my 4K Panasonic TV but they did not work.
  2. I don't know there is a 1920 x 1200 out there but it works on 1920 x 1080 ecternal motitor. I'm using it now.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Our experience is that the current x360 Spectre units support external resolutions of 2560x1440 or 2560x1600 (sorry - I don't have the machine handy), but do not support external display at UHD resolution. Given the date of your post, my guess would be that you have the previous generation, in which case I can't say what your machine may support.

It isn't a USB issue, nor is it a hub issue if you have one. The same limits applies if directly connected to the HDMI port on machines that have one.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.