Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Chromebook
Chrome OS

product name: Hp Chromebook

Product #: X7T72UA#ABA

Product S/N: [Private information removed]

Issue: At random times, my computer screen will just turn black, I can literally do nothing. When I plug it in, the plug in light shows red. But it does this even when my computer is fully charged. It usually does this and lasts about 24 or more hours. The longest time it took to turn back on was about 48 hours. 

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@LCH3

I reviewed your post and I understand that the display turns black randomly.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

I recommend you follow the below steps and check if it helps.

Step 1: Remove external devices

If the Chromebook does not start, remove any USB devices, and remove memory cards from the card reader slot. Disconnect all non-essential devices including external hard drives and other similar devices.

After you have removed all external devices, turn on the Chromebook.

• If the computer starts, reconnect devices one at a time, and restart the Chromebook each time you connect another device to figure out which device is causing the problem. You are done.

• If the unit still does not start or exhibits the same problem, go to the next step to perform a hard reset.

Step 2: Perform a hard reset

A hard or forced reset erases all information in the computer memory. This forces the system to clear and reestablish the software connections between the BIOS and the hardware.

A hard reset does not remove any local files or settings.

1. Press the power button  and refresh  button for five seconds. The computer turns off, and then turns on again.

2. If necessary, press power button again to turn on the laptop.

3. If the issue persists, continue to the next step.

Step 3: Perform a system recovery

A system recovery completely erases any local files or settings and returns the computer to its original factory-shipped state.

• If a hard reset does not resolve your issue OR your Chromebook shows the error message Chrome OS is missing or damaged, you might need to perform a system recovery. For detailed instructions go to Chromebook Help Center and search for Recover your Chromebook.

Chrome OS is missing or damaged

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

P.S: Welcome to the HP Support Community 😊

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

Stay Home – Stay Safe

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.