Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP notebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

my display is in this funky looking night time mode where the screen is black in the background when it should be light in the background.....you can see everything fine in terms of icons and all other content.  how do i restore it to the factory settings so the display will go back to normal as though i just turned it on for the first time or how to change it back to a normal day time appearance?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @doughanks1964,

Thank you for showing your interest in HP Support Forums. It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel. For you to have the best experience on the HP forum, you could also visit our HP Forums Guide for the First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

I see from the post that you are having display issues on your HP notebook. Don't worry as I have a few steps which should help you resolve this issue.

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

Could you provide me with the Product number and the Operating system installed on the PC? (Ensure you do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc...) http://hp.care/2bygf7l

Have you tried to update the drivers?

Have you made any changes on the PC before the issue started?

In the meantime, let's start off by performing a Hard reset on the notebook:

I would suggest let's start by updating the BIOS and Audio drivers from our HP Support website, using this link.

Also, download and install HP support assistant on your PC. It should automatically download and install the latest updates and drivers for your PC.

Refer this link to know how to use HP support assistant.

Connecting an external monitor to test the display

The notebook screen display might remain black when there is a corrupted graphics driver or a problem with the LCD display backlight. To test the display, attach an external monitor and restart the computer. Testing with an external display is helpful if the notebook display is black but you can hear sounds; such as fans, spinning drives, or beep tones that indicate the computer is operating.

I hope this helps. Let me know how it goes for further assistance. I'll be more than happy to help.

Eagerly waiting for your response!

I hope you have a good day ahead,

And Feel free to ask your queries as this forum has some of the best people in the world

Available and ready to help.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Jeet_singh  what does the Night Light button do? Does it block blue light?

HP Recommended

Hi @midwestcitygirl,

Thank you for showing your interest in HP Support Forums. It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel. For you to have the best experience on the HP forum, you could also visit our HP Forums Guide for the First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

I understand from the post that you want to know what does Night Light button do and Does it block blue light, don't worry I'll be really glad to help you with this

This is simple and very nice. In some lighting conditions, "night mode" (white text on dark grey) is easier to read.

You’ll find this option in Settings > System > Display if your Windows 10 PC has been upgraded to the Creators Update. Set the “Nightlight” feature here to “On” to enable it, or “Off” to disable it.

So how do you switch to Dark Mode in Windows 10? It’s easy! Just go to Settings > Personalization > Colors and you will see a “Choose your mode” option. Select ‘Dark’ under it to enable Dark Mode.

To turn off Dark Mode, you simply need to select ‘Light’ under “Choose your mode” from the same menu.

Answering to your question, Does it block blue light, I would suggest yes, this would block blue light. which would make it easier to read.

I hope this information helps. Let me know if you need any further assistance. I'll be more than happy to help.

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, 

mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.