Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
envy 15t-w100
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

it started with fan error 90b. i got the fan serviced and it worked but the touchscreen stopped responding. i checked device mgr and found  a problem with i2c hid device. i may have deleted it hoping for correct driver on restart. then i started getting message a crtitcal process has died and all repair efforts failed. finally i decided to reiset to factory settings, that too faild with the error log showing i2c  as failed device error 10.

how do i get back my windows and touch respone?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@ajayt

Welcome to HP Community

I have gone through your Post and would like to help

I suggest you run a System Test to confirm the Hardware Functionality first

- Shut down the Notebook completely
- Turn it back on, then tap the Esc key repeatedly until the Startup menu screen is displayed.
- Press F2 to select System Diagnostics.
- Click System Test

If all the Tests pass, try a System Recovery using the Recovery Media.

The HP Cloud Recovery Tool allows you to download recovery software to a USB drive. You can use the downloaded recovery image file inorder to install Windows operating system. Click here: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c06162205 to Use the HP Cloud Recovery Tool (Windows 10, 7)

Click here: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04758961#AbT3 to perform a System Recovery (Windows 10)

Thank you

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@ajayt

Welcome to HP Community

I have gone through your Post and would like to help

I suggest you run a System Test to confirm the Hardware Functionality first

- Shut down the Notebook completely
- Turn it back on, then tap the Esc key repeatedly until the Startup menu screen is displayed.
- Press F2 to select System Diagnostics.
- Click System Test

If all the Tests pass, try a System Recovery using the Recovery Media.

The HP Cloud Recovery Tool allows you to download recovery software to a USB drive. You can use the downloaded recovery image file inorder to install Windows operating system. Click here: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c06162205 to Use the HP Cloud Recovery Tool (Windows 10, 7)

Click here: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04758961#AbT3 to perform a System Recovery (Windows 10)

Thank you

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks very much.

I did try but it did not work so I reinstalled win 10 and recovered my data from backups. 

The touch screen input does not work either in the bios setup or windows so it may be a hardware or touchscreen cable problem. 

HP service is not possible in my area and  I will get it checked out by HP service during my next visit to USA where I purchased it.

My apologies for the delay in response.

Thanks agaiIn,

ajay

HP Recommended

@ajayt

Thank you for the update.

Yes, it might be a hardware issue when the touchscreen is not working outside Windows.

If any other questions arise, please feel free to write back to me.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

About the touchscreen issue,  the HID group shows the yellow exclamation next to I2C HID device, and does not show any device with "touchscreen" in it. The touchscreen inputs do not work in the bios setup and startup screens.

This envy 15t-w100 had a touchscreen capability, since I had used it, and it lost the ability after a fan cooling issue was fixed. The touchscreen input cable is secure in its connector. 

Is there a firmware update for that system that might fix the touchscreen not showing up in Device manager??

The  I2C HID device data from the device manager is below

General: 

This device cannot start. (Code 10)

A request for the HID descriptor failed.

Events: 

Device ACPI\SYNA7501\4&20e90f9b&0 was configured.

Driver Name: hidi2c.inf
Class Guid: {745a17a0-74d3-11d0-b6fe-00a0c90f57da}
Driver Date: 06/21/2006
Driver Version: 10.0.19041.1
Driver Provider: Microsoft
Driver Section: hidi2c_Device.NT
Driver Rank: 0xFF2000
Matching Device Id: ACPI\PNP0C50
Outranked Drivers:
Device Updated: false
Parent Device: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_9D61&SUBSYS_80CF103C&REV_21\3&11583659&0&A9

Device ACPI\SYNA7501\4&20e90f9b&0 had a problem starting.

Driver Name: hidi2c.inf
Class Guid: {745a17a0-74d3-11d0-b6fe-00a0c90f57da}
Service: hidi2c
Lower Filters:
Upper Filters: mshidkmdf
Problem: 0xA
Problem Status: 0xC000009E

Though not strictly necessary for routine work, the touchscreen inpit capability was a useful feature. Can i do anything to recover it?

HP Recommended

@ajayt I'm afraid there are no firmware updates as such available for your device, and the fact that it isn't working outside windows confirms a hardware malfunction, I suggest you talk to HP support and discuss your options, follow the below steps to get started:

1) Click on this link - http://www.hp.com/contacthp/

2) Click on Sign-in or select the product using the below step:

3) Enter the serial of your device.

4) Select the country from the drop-down.

5) Click on "Show Options".

Fill the web-form, to populate a case number and phone number for yourself!

Also, if you are having trouble navigating through the above options, it's most likely because the device is out of warranty, if yes? please send me a private message with the region you are contacting us from, 

here's how private messages work: Click here for details.

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I could not locate the "accept solution" button, so i am using the reply route to thank you for the effort. 

My device is out of warranty, but i will be visiting USA -from where I purchased it - very soon. I will get in touch at that time to solve the hardware malfunction problem.

You are doing a great job.

Thanks again.

ajayt

HP Recommended

@ajayt 

You're welcome!

Refer to the below link on how to mark the post as an accepted solution.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Miscellaneous-Topics-Read-Only/How-to-Mark-Your-Question-as-Solved-Vid...

If any other questions arise, please feel free to write back to me.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.