Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion - 14-ce0031ur
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I'm trying to connect an hdmi monitor with usb type-c to hdmi adapter (BillBoard device). After connection i receive a message from windows "connection to display may be limited" and connected display is not working.

Also, I'd tested this adapter on another notebook, HP envy 13-ad109ur and there everything is working normally.

Is there any solution to this problem?

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@anton-logom
Thank you for posting on HP Support Community.

This looks like software driver related issue with the HP Pavilion - 14-ce0031ur notebook.

Let's start with BIOS Update: Follow steps from the link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c00042629

Next step: Chipset and graphics card drivers on your PC from our HP support website, Click Here

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I've done all as you say, updated bios and drivers, but unfortunately it don't help. The message during the connection is similar, and no any signal available on connected display

HP Recommended

@anton-logom

To fix this error, I would recommend ship the unit in for a physical diagnosis, HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: www.hp.com/contacthp/ Contact our Support and our Support Engineers should be able to check the available service options for your product.

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance. Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Not so fast. This is likely normal behavior. Check this review for one kind of simple USB-C to HDMI device:

This item requires an "Alternate Mode" of USB Type-C to function. Not all USB C ports support all alternate modes, so having a USB-C port does not guarantee that this device will work. For example, my Asus G752 laptop is not compatible. This is what causes the device to install as a "Billboard Device" as mentioned in many other reviews. It requires a specific set of hardware which is NOT common to all USB Type C ports. I'm giving this product a negative review because the product description here on Amazon fails to inform people of this requirement, and I now have to return it.

Before buying, check whether your USB Type C port supports alternate modes. If it doesn't, do not buy.

Your USB-C port has alt-DP but unless you get an "active" adapter that will translate DP signal to HDMI a simple inexpensive USB-C to HDMI adapter will not work. What you are seeing is likely normal and we can confirm if you will give us a link to the device you are trying to use. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.