Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 17-g172nw
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello,

I have Pavilion 17-g172nw (N8J73EA), originally with Win10, but changed hard drive to SSD and installed Win7 x64 (necessary for work). Installing drivers wasn’t easy but managed to find and installed all up to date. No unknown devices left. But after turning on my notebook is in airplane mode and “Wireless capability is turned off”. To connect with wifi I need to wait a while than push (3 times) airplane button (F12) than wait for a connection. It’s annoying. Also it turns Bluetooth on. Since win7 doesn’t have airplane mode I can’t set any options. I turned all found power management options to full power. But didn’t find “Panel Open-Power On” option. In BIOS there are no options for airplane mode.

Is there a solution to turn airplane mode off as a default? Or other solution to this problem?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

@hubertp_pl

Thanks for reaching out to us on HP Support Forums. 🙂 I came across your post and would like to help.

I understand that you have an HP Pavilion Notebook - 17-g172nw and you have installed an SSD with Win7. Now after the laptop is powered on, it is in airplane mode and “Wireless capability is turned off." To connect to wifi you have to wait for some time and press the (F12) than wait for a connection. 

You are correct, Win7 does not have airplane option. The laptop was designed to work with Win8. Therefore, you have to press the F12 key. F12 keys will help to enable and disable the airplane mode in Win8.

You may try to press the Win+X keys and this should bring up the "Windows Mobility Center" Please check if it gives you an option there to disable the airplane mode.

Hope this helps. Feel free to let me know if you have any questions. Cheers! 🙂

HP Recommended

Windows Mobility Center.JPG

Thanks for reply but...

There is no airplane mode options (Win7). And it's not possible to activate wifi from there when airplane mode is on (button not active)

HP Recommended

@hubertp_pl

You are welcome and thanks for trying. 🙂

You could try to uninstall the existing wireless card drivers from device manager and then download and install them again from this link: http://hp.care/2hS8tXV

Let me know the results. Thanks again! 

HP Recommended

That was the first driver for wifi I've installed and it did not work. Then I didn't know about airplane mode and how to turn it off so I've searched for something else and currently installed driver for Broadcom 802.11n card is downloaded from manufacturer (6.30.223.259). I can do that change, but I don’t see how it could help. I don’t think it’s Windows setting or driver of wifi card problem. The problem is airplane mode and I need a way to control it.

HP Recommended

@hubertp_pl, thanks for the response.

Thanks for trying out the steps.

Please try the steps mentioned below.

Opening the Network Adapters section. Clicking on the Wifi device (in my case Ralink RT5390R), clicking on the Advanced Tab, selecting Radio On/Off and then on the right side, selecting Enable from the drop-down.

Let me know if this works!

Cheers! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello,

thank You for reply and a new point of view.

Unfortunately I don’t know exactly what do You mean.

As I googled “Radio On/Off” option it looks like Win8 or Win10 to me, but maybe I’m wrong. I’m running Win7.

So I went to ControlPanel>>WifiCard>>AdvancedTab (as on a picture) but no “Radio” options there. I’m running polish language version of Win7 but way to get there is the same and radio is radio even in polish :generic:

Control Panel.JPG

Control Panel 2.JPG

HP Recommended

As you mentioned you were unable to find the radio button in device manager, Please try the steps mentioned below.

Go to start menu
search up "brightness"
click on adjust screen brightness
On the side you will see "Panel Open-Power On" click on that
go to keyboard tab
check the option that says "Standard F1~F12 mode"
restart computer click yes to restart.
Check if the issue persists.

If the issue still persists since you have downgraded the operating system you are having this issue. 

Please upgrade the operating system to original factory settings using the recovery discs.

You can contact HP and get the recovery discs.

Link to contact HP.

Have a wonderful day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello,

I’ve come across a solution with “Panel Open-Power On” earlier but it does not exist in my Win7…

As I understand it’s about changing the way fn keys works, right?

If I have to push fn key to use special function of a button or not. I’ve changed it in BIOS settings and only change observed was that I had to push fn button while turning airplane mode off.

But if that solution is about something else, maybe I’m missing some software.

Is there a way to download and install it?

I thought that HP Wireless Assistant could be helpful, so I downloaded sp49018 but got _ERR_SYSTEM_NOT_SUPPORTED.

Could you guide me in the correct direction?

I would like to point out that:
my notebook is HP Pavilion 17-g172nw.
I didn’t downgrade OS, I’ve installed Win7 on a new SSD drive.
I need Win7 for work. It’s not possible to use any higher version.
Airplane mode on at startup is a disadvantage
, an annoyance.
I started this post here because I would like to use HP product with joy, not get annoyed each time I turn it on, and because it’s not a problem with windows since Win7 does not have airplane mode.

I can try any solution that might work but Win7 stays.

HP Recommended

It looks like you are using an older version of HP wireless assistant.

You can uninstall the previous version of HP wireless assistant from your PC.

And install the latest version of HP wireless assistant using this link.

If you still have issues after installing the wireless assistant on your PC. I would suggest you upgrade your PC back to factory settings.

Also, If you needed windows 7 to be installed on your PC. You could have contacted HP we would have customized your PC to windows 7.

Let me know if this works!

Have a wonderful day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.