Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

Since a few days, I frequently have BSOD IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL on rtux64w10.sys

This happens only when I am connected in ethernet via the HP USB-C Dock G5 and not when I am connected in wifi.

A symptom is when I try to display some web sites like HP support or some other sites: in ethernet, I have either a blank page or a message on SSL (ERR_SSL_PROTOCOL_ERROR). In wifi, these sites are displayed correctly.

But it is not systematic: sometimes, for example, the HP support site is displayed correctly in ethernet, but it is the HP home page that doesn't display correctly.

If a website does not display correctly, I just have to unplug the ethernet cable, switch to wifi and the site displays correctly. So it is not a problem of the sites.

Windows is up to date. I loaded the latest versions of the network drivers from HP support.

What can I do now?

Many Thanks

wifi : Realtek RTL8822CE 802.11ac PCIe Adapter (rtwlane.sys) version 2024.0.10.210
Ethernet: Realtek USB GbE Family Controller #3 (rtux64w10.sys) version 10.7.0218.2016.

Edit : update Realtek RTL8822CE 802.11ac PCIe Adapter to version 2024.0.10.220 (windows update) --> same problem

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

HI@brutri, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I understand that notebook has an issue with the network.

Request you to follow the below link driver HP USB-C Dock G5,

https://support.hp.com/in-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-usb-c-dock-g5/27767205

The docking station referred is a commercial model & the unit is a consumer segment. The said combination is not tested by HP. So, the functionality is not guaranteed.

Keep me posted. Happy to help!

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

HI@brutri, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I understand that notebook has an issue with the network.

Request you to follow the below link driver HP USB-C Dock G5,

https://support.hp.com/in-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-usb-c-dock-g5/27767205

The docking station referred is a commercial model & the unit is a consumer segment. The said combination is not tested by HP. So, the functionality is not guaranteed.

Keep me posted. Happy to help!

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Have a great day! 

HP Recommended

Hi @Praveenbv
Thank you for your answer.

First of all, I did some tests before applying your solution.

I connected the computer to Ethernet without using the G5 Dock, but just with a simple USB-C/Ethernet adapter.

I had the same kind of crashes: so the problem is not an incompatibility between the Dock and the computer.

I then installed the dock driver you indicated. This one installs the 10.39.518.2020 version of rtux64w10.sys on the computer. It works whether there is a dock or not.

For the moment, the symptoms "blank page" or "SSL error" do not appear anymore on the sites I was testing. So it's a big progress 🙂 🙂

I will test for a few days to see if the BSOD occurs or not and close the issue if everything works.

What I notice is that the HP ENVY X360 support page only offers the 2016 version of rtux64w10.sys in the driver updates while there is a 2020 version! Can you please report this to the driver update team? Proposing a 5 years old version is not very professional, isn't it?

Best regards

HP Recommended

Hi @brutri,

Welcome to the HP Support Community.  

Thanks for the valuable feedback, I will update the relevant team,

I'd suggest you Contact HP in your region regarding the service options for your computer. 

If you are having trouble navigating through the above options, it's most likely because the device is out of warranty. If yes? please send me a private message with the region you are contacting us from. Check next to your profile name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it.   

Have a great day!  

HP Recommended

I had exactly the same issue, and solved it by simply removing (uninstalling) the driver (and avoiding doing the update again).

So, go to:

* Control Panel (easier than through Windows 10 Settings)

* Device Manager (as administrator)

* Network adaptors

* Realtek USB GbE Family Controller

* Right-click and select "uninstall device"

* Select "Delete the driver software for this device"

* Reboot

On re-start, the system will re-install a driver, but it will use the previous driver, not the problematic one. So the problem goes away.

From there, avoid manually selecting the driver update for the Realtek USB GbE for a while - until, hopefully, they solve the issue.

It's a bit-of a work-around, but it's a work around that should be OK for a few months at least.

HP Recommended

@CM313

Just for information, the driver I installed is the one recommended by HP for this computer on their support site, not downloaded from the Realtek site.

I had tested without success what you indicate, but in fact I have the impression that there is an incompatibility between the driver of the ethernet card and the one of the wifi card: it is the update of the wifi driver which triggered the crash of the ethernet connection. I did not try to uninstall both. But the next step was a total reset of the computer.

But finally, the recommended driver for the Dock is a much more recent version of the computer's ethernet card driver (2020 instead of 2016) and works even if you don't have a Dock.

What worries me is that in the revision history of this driver from the Dock page, we have a version 10.32.328.2019 Rev.A that supports Windows 10 v1903, a version v10.39.518.2020 that supports Windows 10 v2004. What will happen with the next version of Windows 10? Will HP continue to advocate for a version dating back to 2016?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.