Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavillion dv6-2070et
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I have an HP Pavillion dv6-2070et laptop with Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN (BCM43XG12) wireless card. I am using Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit.  I have been having problems with Open VPN Tap Driver NDIS 6.  I want to install the latest WLAN driver (maybe from another laptop model) for my wireless card to see if it will resolve my problem or not.  What is the latest possible driver for my WLAN card?

I wrote the details of the existing driver that I am using below.  This is the latest available on my laptop's support page.

HP Driver Setup Name: sp48591.exe

Device Description: Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN
Driver Version: 5.60.350.6
Driver Date: 3/22/2010
Inf section: BCM43XG12_NT61
Matching Device ID: pci\ven_14e4&dev_4315&subsys_1508103c

%BCM430G_DeviceDesc% = BCM43XG12_NT61, PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_4315&SUBSYS_1508103C

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

This one is the newest version I could find that has support for the hardware ID you posted...

6.30.223.228 Rev.B    Release Date:  May 10, 2014

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp66001-66500/sp66445.exe

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi:

This driver contains support for the hardware ID you posted...

This package contains drivers for the supported Broadcom Wireless LAN Adapters in the supported notebook/laptop models and operating systems.

5.100.82.139   Release Date:  Jul 13, 2012

Windows 7 (64-bit)

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp57501-58000/sp57965.exe

HP Recommended

Paul, thanks for your reply. I was able to use the following Broadcom driver from one of your earlier posts.

HP Driver Setup Name: sp63944.exe

Device Description: Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN
Driver Version: 5.100.82.147
Driver Date: 03/26/2013
Inf section: BCM43XG12_NT61
Matching Device ID: pci\ven_14e4&dev_4315&subsys_1508103c

Download Link:
https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-elitebook-8460p-notebook-pc/5056942

It is still quite old (from 2013).  Do you know of a newer Broadcom WLAN driver?

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

This one is the newest version I could find that has support for the hardware ID you posted...

6.30.223.228 Rev.B    Release Date:  May 10, 2014

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp66001-66500/sp66445.exe

HP Recommended

Paul, thanks for sp66445.exe.  I will install it.

How do you find HP drivers (from other HP laptop models) by using hardware ID of a component?  If you can teach me how to do it, I can update all my drivers 🙂

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

It has recently become a bit harder to find drivers.

Now that HP has merged the business and consumer support sites together, I can no longer click on a driver from any HP business class PC and get the revision history.

That was a neat feature.  For example on the now defunct business support site, I could have clicked on the link to the sp66445 driver and on that link, there would have been a revision history tab which would have listed every driver that came out before and after sp66445 was released.

Now that we can't do that anymore, I have to guess what PC's might have newer drivers.

I happened to know that there is also a HP 8470p notebook which happened to have the above driver.

So, I thought to myself, how about going beyond that.  But I couldn't find newer HP notebooks that had a Broadcom driver that had support for the hardware ID you posted.

As you can see, there is no way I can teach you how to locate newer drivers anymore due to this change.

You would have to memorize every HP business notebook out there.

Since I have been doing this for almost 7 years now, I have filled my brain full of this information gathered over the years.

And now since I am rambling on here, I remembered the HP Elitebook 850 G1 may have had a newer Broadcom driver than the 8470p and by golly, it does.

This driver also has support for the hardware ID you posted...

This package contains Broadcom Wireless LAN driver and is required to enable the integrated Broadcom Wireless LAN adapter in supported notebook models running a supported operating system. This package also contains the Broadcom Wireless Utility application and IHV Extensions that add support for Cisco Compatible Extensions.

6.30.223.255 Rev.A    Release Date:  Feb 12, 2015

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp70501-71000/sp70616.exe

See how hard it is to find drivers now?  I hate it.

Before, I could have clicked on the revision history tab and found this info out in seconds.

There may even be a newer driver, but now  I couldn't say for sure.

Suffice it to say, you have now brought your driver 5 years newer than it was.

HP Recommended

Paul, thanks for the sp70616.  I think the best way to find a driver is to ask you 🙂  I am glad we have you on this board.

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.