Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 11-e110au Laptop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Upgraded to Windows 10 Home on 29 October 2019 and all seemed fine. Laptop was connecting to wireless network at home with nil issues. After not using the laptop for a period of 4-6 weeks, turned it on and noticed my antivirus/spyware needed updating. When attempting to update, noticed device was not connected to Wi-Fi network. Went to settings, available networks and noticed home network was not showing (despite being at the same desk as the router). Two other unknown networks were showing but could not access them. Went through various diagnostic and troubleshooting options available in settings menu but issue was unable to be resolved. Eventually gave up.

Returned to use device a week or two later and it worked like nothing had happened, connecting to usual network like normal. After a period of no use again, logged in and original issue occurred again, only this time NO wireless networks whatsoever were being detected. Spent hours on desktop PC doing online troubleshooting and research (eg. HP virtual agent & support community, google etc.) without any success. This included working through multiple troubleshooting instructions, uninstalling, downloading & reinstalling hardware installers with no luck. My laptop is running a Ralink RT3290 802.11bgn Wi-Fi adapter. I downloaded and ran the most recent/recommended application for my laptop but the setup/installation wizard didn't complete its process. Tried this a number of times again without success.

Identified an online Microsoft troubleshooting issue entitled "Computer that has VPN software installed can't detect wireless network after upgrading to Windows 10" that seemed to describe the exact symptoms I was experiencing. Downloaded and ran the automatic troubleshooter option twice with nil result. Also attempted the manual fix without the issue being resolved. Today I switched the laptop on and low and behold my normal network and some other wireless options were available. Whilst showing my home (secure) network (full signal but with a small 'x' next to it), I was unable to connect (using my password). Says information has changed since the last time and there is an issue with the adapter security type setting. I'm not sure which settings to choose (Troubleshooter say wireless security types do not match. Current security type selected = 802.1X; Encryption type = WEP & Network authentication method = PEAP. For those experts out there who this might mean something, I have a Telstra Gateway dual band Wi-Fi router manufactured by Sagemcom, model number F@ST 5355 ). My currently ISP (Telstra) has an public/open network that I was able to connect to today which has enabled me to update my antivirus software. I did a check for the latest driver for the adapter which says I'm up to date. 

Would be grateful for advice on how to connect to my secure (home) network now it is detected but more importantly, whether the original issue can somehow be resolved. I suspect at some point I will switch the laptop on again and I'll be back to a situation where no networks are detected. (Sorry for the long winded explanation...!)  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi.

I'm so sorry to tell it to you, but Sagemcom F@ST 5355 is a piece of s#it. As almost ALL of their routers. They are cheap(for ISP) and used by not client-oriented ISPs to receive maximum money from own clients...

I had different models on client side for VDSL, Cable, Optic and Ethernet connections. All of them had problems with line connection to provider and Wi-Fi connections to devices in 2.4GHz band and 5GHz band also. Possibly, this piece of s#it updated firmware itself and it stopped working correctly.

Connect by cable to your router and restore router's factory configuration. It clean settings and you can configure it as a new router. DON'T use WEP encryption! Use WPA2-AES encryption instead. It is most stable and speed-effective than WEP.

If this trick doesn't help, try another router.

You wrote also, you're using Ralink RT3290 802.11bgn Wi-Fi adapter. It is also may be a problem device. It is overheating adapter, which can work as it wish. If you have problems to connect to others wi-fi spots, it may be a reason. Best solution is replace it to something more stable and productivity. Which can work in 2 bands instead 1. But you must ask HP support, which wi-fi adapters included in your BIOS whitelist. Or mod your BIOS itself, but this case is not for this thread.

Also you can try re-install drivers for adapter from manufacturer's website: https://www.mediatek.com/products/broadbandWifi/rt3290 or better solution is use older(5.0.02) version of driver from HP: sp58374 

Before driver installing, open Device manager(press Win+R, enter devmgmt.msc press Enter), right-click to yopur adapter, choose uninstall device using checkbox-option Uninstall device drivers. Then refresh devices by right-click to computer's name, if Windows install some other driver for adapter, repeat uninstalling. Computer must be disconnected from internet.

Write about your results.

Regards,

IT-Velho

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi.

I'm so sorry to tell it to you, but Sagemcom F@ST 5355 is a piece of s#it. As almost ALL of their routers. They are cheap(for ISP) and used by not client-oriented ISPs to receive maximum money from own clients...

I had different models on client side for VDSL, Cable, Optic and Ethernet connections. All of them had problems with line connection to provider and Wi-Fi connections to devices in 2.4GHz band and 5GHz band also. Possibly, this piece of s#it updated firmware itself and it stopped working correctly.

Connect by cable to your router and restore router's factory configuration. It clean settings and you can configure it as a new router. DON'T use WEP encryption! Use WPA2-AES encryption instead. It is most stable and speed-effective than WEP.

If this trick doesn't help, try another router.

You wrote also, you're using Ralink RT3290 802.11bgn Wi-Fi adapter. It is also may be a problem device. It is overheating adapter, which can work as it wish. If you have problems to connect to others wi-fi spots, it may be a reason. Best solution is replace it to something more stable and productivity. Which can work in 2 bands instead 1. But you must ask HP support, which wi-fi adapters included in your BIOS whitelist. Or mod your BIOS itself, but this case is not for this thread.

Also you can try re-install drivers for adapter from manufacturer's website: https://www.mediatek.com/products/broadbandWifi/rt3290 or better solution is use older(5.0.02) version of driver from HP: sp58374 

Before driver installing, open Device manager(press Win+R, enter devmgmt.msc press Enter), right-click to yopur adapter, choose uninstall device using checkbox-option Uninstall device drivers. Then refresh devices by right-click to computer's name, if Windows install some other driver for adapter, repeat uninstalling. Computer must be disconnected from internet.

Write about your results.

Regards,

IT-Velho

HP Recommended

Hi IT-Velho

Thanks for the comprehensive response. Much appreciated. I was able to select the correct security settings for the Wi-fi adapter and was successful in re-connecting to the router. Things seem to have stabilized and it has been working properly again now for the past 2-3 weeks. Hopefully this will continue.

I note your other observations and advice and will hang on to this detailed trouble-shooting information for future reference.

Many thanks.

HP Recommended

Hi. 

It's good, that problem resolved. 

If you think, that my answer was useful for you, just mark answer as best solution. 

Regards, 

IT-Velho 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.