Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion g6-2312ax
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)
I have hp pavilion g6-2312ax laptop. After some recent microsoft updates wifi stopped working. Its driver also doesnt show up in the network adaptor. And, I also couldnt find any wifi adaptors on hp support website. What to do please help...
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi, @Rhaegarnoob

Under the circumstances, I would say there is a hardware issue with the wifi adapter itself.

If the parts list was correct, you should be seeing the Ralink wifi adapter listed along with the 'Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller."

If the parts list was not correct, you should be seeing a device in the device manager labeled as a Network Controller with a little ! mark next to it.

Since your notebook's device manager is free of any unknown devices or devices with ! marks next to them, it points to a hardware failure.

Sometimes just removing and reseating the wifi adapter will resolve the issue.  The contacts sometimes get oxidized or dirty, causing the wifi card to disappear from the device manager.

The first troubleshooting step, is to remove and reseat the wifi adapter.

See chapter 4 starting on page 49 in the service manual below, for the wifi adapter R & R procedures.

If you can, leave the antenna cables connected to the wifi card to save you the hassle of trying to reconnect those tiny antenna contacts.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03593126

If that troubleshooting step fails to get the wifi card to show up, then most likely the wifi card died on you and needs to be replaced.  It could also be the motherboard, but that is less likely.

You would have to replace it with one of the wifi adapters listed in the service manual for your notebook, and it must have the HP part number on it, or it will not work.

I would replace it with the same card and part number as it appears to be the best one available for your model as it also comes with bluetooth.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@Rhaegarnoob

Your machine has  Ralink RT3290LE 802.11b/g/n 1x1 WiFi and Bluetooth 4.0 combination adapter . Please try

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp59501-60000/sp59525.exe

and for BT

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp59501-60000/sp59632.exe

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Latest driver I can find:

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp69501-70000/sp69543.exe

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

HP Recommended
I installed the driver but nothing changed. Maybe there is some method to install it properly which I don't know.
HP Recommended

@Rhaegarnoob

In Device Manager what is showing? Do you have "unknown device", a device with no driver or an error next to it, or?

Did you try the driver suggested by banhien and the driver I posted?

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

HP Recommended
In Device Manager, under Network adaptors I can only see 'Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller' & bunch of 'WAN Miniport's. But can't locate any wifi adapter.
Yeah, I tried both the drivers suggested by banhien and you. But, nothing happened.
HP Recommended

Hi, @Rhaegarnoob

Under the circumstances, I would say there is a hardware issue with the wifi adapter itself.

If the parts list was correct, you should be seeing the Ralink wifi adapter listed along with the 'Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller."

If the parts list was not correct, you should be seeing a device in the device manager labeled as a Network Controller with a little ! mark next to it.

Since your notebook's device manager is free of any unknown devices or devices with ! marks next to them, it points to a hardware failure.

Sometimes just removing and reseating the wifi adapter will resolve the issue.  The contacts sometimes get oxidized or dirty, causing the wifi card to disappear from the device manager.

The first troubleshooting step, is to remove and reseat the wifi adapter.

See chapter 4 starting on page 49 in the service manual below, for the wifi adapter R & R procedures.

If you can, leave the antenna cables connected to the wifi card to save you the hassle of trying to reconnect those tiny antenna contacts.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03593126

If that troubleshooting step fails to get the wifi card to show up, then most likely the wifi card died on you and needs to be replaced.  It could also be the motherboard, but that is less likely.

You would have to replace it with one of the wifi adapters listed in the service manual for your notebook, and it must have the HP part number on it, or it will not work.

I would replace it with the same card and part number as it appears to be the best one available for your model as it also comes with bluetooth.

HP Recommended

In Device Manager make sure to select "show hidden devices" under view in the top menu otherwise you can't see the full list of components.

HP Recommended

Hi @Paul_Tikkanen

Thank you for the reply.

As you mentioned, I didn't see any Ralink wifi adaptor along with the 'Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller', nor did I see any '!' mark. So, yes I came to know that my wifi card must have gone faulty. So, I removed and did reseat but the problem still persisted.

Finally, having no other solution I replaced my 'Ralink RT3290' with 'Dell wireless 1397 wlan mini card'. Now it's working fine.

But I didn't observe any faulty marks or something like that visually on my 'Ralink RT3290' whatsoever. Is it normal?

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

For wifi cards, I don't think it is normal to find things such as burn marks, etc.

Somewhere in there a delicate circuit connection got broken.

You did bring up an interesting point though.

I was under the impression that the g6-23xx model series had a BIOS whitelist which would have prevented the Dell card from working.

Since you are sucessfully running a Dell wifi card in there with no problems, that means the g6-23xx model series does not have a BIOS whitelist and end users can install any HMC wifi card they want.

That card uses the Broadcom wifi chip, so it makes sense that with no BIOS whitelist, that card would work on your notebook's AMD chipset.

An Intel wifi card would not have worked.   It would have installed, and you would have been able to install the drivers for it, but it wouldn't have worked. 

Back in those days, Intel wifi cards only worked in notebooks with Intel processors and chipsets.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.