cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
RALLTech
6 4 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

Cannot use WLAN in laptop

HP Recommended
Pavilion Sleekbook 14-b009TU
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hi,

I hope someone can help me on this; the WLAN connection in my laptop is not working and wireless adapter is not recognized.  I've installed all the drivers from the HP website Support section. The Ethernet connection is recognized and works though.

Would you have any pointers on how to resolve this? Based on what I saw, the WLAN card is "Ralink RT3290 802.11bgn".

Based on a previous thread, I've installed "HP PC Hardware Diagnostics Windows - v1.6.8.0" and ran the "Wireless Stress Test" and here are the results:

TestVersion = 1.0 TestId = 43310157-2392-4173-a4e3-b6b184a7edf7 StartTime = 2021-03-28T12:18:37 ExecutionDuration = 00:00:28 Result = ExecutionPassed PassID = 20808-25310-93458 ================================================== Ping DefaultGateway 192.168.8.1 Ping OptionsDontFragment = False Ping OptionsTtl = 64 Ping DefaultGateway 192.168.8.1 Success Ping RoundtripTime = 0 ms ------------------------- A command that prompts the user failed because the host program or the command type does not support user interaction. Try a host program that supports user interaction, such as the Windows PowerShell Console or Windows PowerShell ISE, and remove prompt-related commands from command types that do not support user interaction, such as Windows PowerShell workflows. Test failed.

Thanks in advance!

3 REPLIES 3
banhien
Level 20
Level 20
98,789 37,831 12,829 27,075
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@RALLTech wrote:

.. Would you have any pointers on how to resolve this? Based on what I saw, the WLAN card is "Ralink RT3290 802.11bgn"....

@RALLTech 

From the following information, it does NOT have Ralink wifi adapter

https://partsurfer.hp.com/Search.aspx?searchText=C5J12PA

It actually has Qualcomm Atheros QCA9000 Series Wireless LAN  adapter part # 690019-005 . Your machine came with FreeDOS, you need proper drivers for it to work. Please use the following driver for Windows 8.1

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp65001-65500/sp65048.exe

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

>
Was this reply helpful? Yes No
RALLTech
Author
6 4 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks @banhien

One piece of info. I forgot to mention was that the Laptop does not seem to identify the WLAN on Device Manager.

Once I downloaded the sp65048.exe and ran it, I think it could not find the component and gave me the attached error.

Do you have any idea why the WLAN card is not shwoing up on the Device Manager?

sp65048_Error.PNG

RALLTech
Author
6 4 0 0
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @Banhien

Do you have any feedback on my question on 29/MAR?

Thanks

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation