Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Chrome book 11
Chrome OS

It won't connect to Wifi.   It no longer auto connects to our network that is working fine with other devices   Add Wifi Network    WEP: Bad Password    or PSK: Chrome OS Network connection error: Unknown network error.

Has the internal WLAN failed?    Can I try a USB Wifi adapter?

Help

Kevin

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@ksschlat I should be able to help you get through this situation, for starters, here's a video that addresses wifi connection issues and how to solve it: click here to watch

And here are a few steps, as well:

Step 1: Turn on Wi-Fi

1. At the bottom right, select the time.
  2. Select Not Connected .
    Note: If you see your Wi-Fi network name and a signal strength, your Chromebook is already connected to Wi-Fi.
  3. Turn on Wi-Fi
  4. Your Chromebook will automatically look for available networks and show them to you in a list.

FOR DETAILS & FURTHER INSTRUCTIONS, USE THIS LINK: CLICK HERE & SKIP TO STEP 2 ONWARD

(By the end of this article all the issues should be resolved)

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 😉

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Riddle,

No.  This does not work.   I cannot even get to step 4.  It will not list any near by WiFi like my laptop sees them.  My MountainK network is set to 2.4GHz per the required Chromebook specification.   Attempting to connect gives the errors noted. Please see photos.   What can I do?

Thanks,

Kevin

IMG_0387.jpgIMG_0388.jpgIMG_0389.jpgIMG_0390.jpgIMG_0391.jpgIMG_0392.jpg

HP Recommended

@ksschlat

Thank you for the update.

Please perform the below steps and check.

Reset your HP Chromebook 14 using Powerwash

Unlike the Windows operating system, there’s nothing much you can do about your Chromebook if its core functions fail so I suggest you reset it by using the Powerwash feature under Settings. It will reset your laptop and delete all locally stored files so make sure you back up important files and data before the reset.

1. Click the status area of the taskbar, and then click Settings.
  2. Scroll to the bottom of the Settings page and click Show advanced settings.
  3. In the Powerwash section, click Powerwash.
  4. Click Restart to begin resetting the Chromebook.

Alternatively, you can reset your Chromebook by the sign-in screen if you want to and it’s easier than the previous method…

1. On the sign-in screen, hold down the Ctrl + Alt + Shift + R keys.
  2. In the Powerwash your Chrome device window, click Reset.

After the Powerwash, proceed to initial setup to know if Wi-Fi is working this time. You will be asked to log in to your Google account during the setup process and to be able to do so, you need to connect to Wi-Fi.

Have a nice day!!

HP Recommended

Hello @Praveen196,

Thank you for replying, but No.   As can be seen from my HP Chromebook 11 screen shots previously attached, I can't get to any of the screens you are suggesting.   It is requiring that I connect to the Internet to do anything, and I can't get past the Network Error messages?  What can I do?

Neither the powerwash reset or recovery keystroke sequences worked or fixed it.

Thanks,

Kevin

HP Recommended

@ksschlat

I understand your concern.

In that case, I would suggest you perform the recovery.

Have a nice day!!

HP Recommended

Repeating....Neither the powerwash reset or recovery keystroke sequences worked or fixed it.

How can it be fixed?

HP Recommended

@ksschlat

I understand your concerns.

In that case, I would suggest you contact our phone support and check for the support option.

Here is how you can get in touch with phone support.

1)Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/

2)Select the product type.

3)Enter the serial number of your device or select let HP detect your product option.

4)Select the country from the drop-down.

5)You should see the HP phone support number or Chat option listed.

We are experiencing longer than expected wait times to reach an agent due to the CoViD-19 impact and there might have been issues in you getting the expected resolution on the issue. 

Have a nice day!!

HP Recommended

Just a thought... WEP is an ancient way of making a wifi connection!

Are you absolutely sure that is the correct setting for your router?   Most modern-day routers use WPA2-PSK.

WyreNut

-------------------------------------------------
Former Expert in the PalmOS, WebOS, and Android sections of this Community Forum.
I am a Volunteer here, not employed by HP.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.