Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP EliteBook 840 G7 Notebook PC

Hello Community and Happy New Year to everybody.

as in subject i have some trouble with SIM Slot.

i tried to install the drivers but connection still not working.

when i insert sim card nothing happens.

i hope i your advice to solve the issue.

thank you in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello Paul,

i'm back to you with some good news!

i ordered the board and i mounted them, all it works!!

look the images below for further information.

first to all i have checked if my laptop has antennas then i ordered the board on AliExpress, type L860-GL.

i studied HP manuals and i understood that the only model compatible is the XMM 7560 LTE-A Pro (Cat 16).

HP P/N in the manual is different from the one i ordered but i think that the important thing is the model type.

before the board installation i installed all the drivers and software related from the HP official download center.

my laptop is HP EliteBook 840 G7.

thank you again for your support.

processed-3AEB2CEC-A8E0-4DF0-B8C5-C40F50EF30DB.jpegprocessed-971795DC-5C3B-4AB6-BED2-15318AB5BDF8.jpegprocessed-1118467A-DDE6-41B5-BBE6-226BD6BA1754.jpeg

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi, and Happy New Year to you too!

Every EliteBook 840 G7 has a SIM card slot.

What 90% of them don't have is the optional and expensive WWAN adapter that is needed for you to connect to a cellular network.

The SIM card only authorizes you to use your carrier's cellular network, not connect to it.

In order to use mobile broadband your notebook has to have one of the following WWAN adapters listed in the device manager under the Network adapters device manager category:

Intel XMM 7560 LTE-Advanced

Intel XMM 7360 LTE-Advanced

If you do not see either of these adapters listed, then you cannot connect to mobile broadband.

HP Recommended

Hi Paul,

thank you a lot or your fast reply!

i checked the device manager and unfortunely i don't see the necessary board.

you are right!

you think that i can buy it and add to laptop or it can't?

i don't understood if is a separately optional or if it must ordered with the laptop.

thank you in advance for your reply.

nice year again!

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

You may have to have ordered that option when the notebook was purchased.

You used to be able to install a card.  The antenna wires are there and whatnot, but on these newer models, I'm not sure.

Chapter 1 of the service manual indicates WWAN: 'select models only' and that there is support for aftermarket options, whatever that means.

I have read posts regarding other Elitebooks where the users have installed the correct cards with the correct HP part numbers and they didn't work.

Below is the link to the service manual.  Chapter 3 has the WWAN adapter part numbers and descriptions.

Maintenance and Service Guide (hp.com)

You can normally only install one of the supported cards listed in the manual and it must have the HP part number on it.

Chapter 5 has the installation procedure.  Make sure the antenna wires are there before even buying a card.

HP Recommended

thanks a lot!

have a nice day.

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

If you decide to purchase a WWAN card, please post back and let us know how the upgrade went.

You have a nice day too.

HP Recommended

Hello Paul,

i'm back to you with some good news!

i ordered the board and i mounted them, all it works!!

look the images below for further information.

first to all i have checked if my laptop has antennas then i ordered the board on AliExpress, type L860-GL.

i studied HP manuals and i understood that the only model compatible is the XMM 7560 LTE-A Pro (Cat 16).

HP P/N in the manual is different from the one i ordered but i think that the important thing is the model type.

before the board installation i installed all the drivers and software related from the HP official download center.

my laptop is HP EliteBook 840 G7.

thank you again for your support.

processed-3AEB2CEC-A8E0-4DF0-B8C5-C40F50EF30DB.jpegprocessed-971795DC-5C3B-4AB6-BED2-15318AB5BDF8.jpegprocessed-1118467A-DDE6-41B5-BBE6-226BD6BA1754.jpeg

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance, and thanks for letting us know the Intel WWAN card worked in your notebook.

Cheers,

Paul

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.