Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
EliteBook 2570p
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm waiting for the delivery of a EliteBook 2570p, loaded (Intel i7-3520M: 2.9 GHz, 8GB RAM, 240GB SSD, Win 10 Pro). Recently, I had to deal with a laptop that wouldn't go online because our cable router went on the blink on the 2.4GHz transmission and the laptop had a single frequency wi-fi card and it was 2.4GHz. So I had a 3-pound paperweight on my lap. I didn't ask the seller if the laptop had a single or dual-band wi-fi card so I gotta be ready to replace it if it's single band. I'm not a techie  but I've watched more than my share of YouTube videos showing how to replace/install parts. Replacing a wi-fi card seems like a simple affair I can handle. If you've done what I'm about to embark on, please tell me the particulars and card recommendations. Looking forward to your replies.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi:

Below is the link to the service manual for your notebook.

The supported wifi cards are listed in chapter 3 on page 27.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03559419

The second two listed are dual band wifi cards.

I am not sure one way or the other if that model has a BIOS whitelist, which prevents the installation of any wifi card not listed in the service manual and I doubt anyone else knows either.

I would lean toward the side that it does.

If the notebook has a BIOS whitelist, the card you select must have the HP part number on it, or it will not work.

So, do your search by the part number.  You will probably find many of either card for sale on eBay.

I do not see in any of the BIOS release notes where support was added for additional wifi cards...

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-elitebook-2570p-notebook-pc/5259393/sw...

Now, if you are a gambler, and don't mind blowing $20 - $25 bucks if you lose, then you can experiment with this wifi card which should work if your notebook does not have a BIOS whitelist...

Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 802.11 ac 2x2 WiFi + BT 4.0    HP Part #710661-001

That model should be easily available on Amazon or eBay. Shouldn't cost more than $20 - $25.

HP Recommended

I thank you for your helpful reply but it just added to my confusion. I had looked on Google for whitelist info and it was more than I could understand. The Maintenance and Service Guide says Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205 WLAN module and if the laptop needs a dual-band wi-fi card I'll get that one. But in looking at them on ebay, they all say 5.15-5.35GHz. I was always under the impression that dual-band meant 2.40/5GHz. So perhaps the laptop will have the 6205 installed. I'll have to wait until next week. Thanks again.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

You are correct.

Dual band indeed does mean  2.4HGz/5GHz.

And yes, if you are not a gambler, and you want the  Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205 WLAN module, then make sure you get a card with the HP part number on it, so if the BIOS has a whitelist, the card will be accepted.

That card should give you a 144 MBPS connection speed on the 2.4 GHz wifi band, and 300 MBPS on the 5.0 GHz wifi band.

I would be a bit surprised if your notebook does not already include that model wifi card as it comes.

All of the Intel cards with that part number that I see on eBay show they are dual band 2.4HGz/5GHz, such as this one.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/631954-001-HP-Elitebook-8460w-8560w-8760w-8560p-Intel-6205ABGN-2-4G-5G-Wifi...

HP Recommended

"I would be a bit surprised if your notebook does not already include that model wifi card as it comes." I'm keeping my fingers crossed but I also don't know if a laptop with good "mechanics" under the hood is a pre-requisite for a dual-band card although logically it should. We'll see.

"All of the Intel cards with that part number that I see on eBay show they are dual band 2.4HGz/5GHz, such as this one.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/631954-001-HP-Elitebook-8460w-8560w-8760w-8560p-Intel-6205ABGN-2-4G-5G-Wifi...

Unfortunately, that card in the link is not a 2.4HGz/5GHz, it is the same as all of the 6205 cards that I've looked at:  5.15-5.35 GHz. And when I saw the EliteBook models on the link I didn't see a tie-in to the 2570p which is what I'm waiting for.

HP Recommended

I don't understand why you believe the card I posted is not a dual band card.

Right in the heading description it indicates...

631954-001 HP Elitebook 8460w 8560w 8760w 8560p Intel 6205ABGN 2.4G-5G Wifi Card

Here is the link to the specs on the card, straight from the horse's mouth...

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/59471/intel-centrino-advanced-n-6205-dual-band....

HP Recommended

Paul, you said: 

"I don't understand why you believe the card I posted is not a dual band card.

Right in the heading description it indicates...

631954-001 HP Elitebook 8460w 8560w 8760w 8560p Intel 6205ABGN 2.4G-5G Wifi Card"

Yes, that's what the ebay seller says in the listing title but his photo for the card's reverse says that the card's 2 frequencies are 5.15-5.35 GHz and the HP models that he lists are different to my 2570p - different models may have different card needs.

I'll be receiving the laptop on Monday, 25th. I'll update then.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.